« Forums | Gear News »
   New Post
   Search

Belibat: Electroacoustic/Organic Ambient Live Jam

Reader Belibat did another wild jam on hardware with Samplr. This is a live looping jam, so it starts off slow. Stick with it until the synth parts come in and you will be rewarded for your patience!

Video Description:

Ok, this jam will take a couple minutes to take off, just because i recorded everything live so.. stick with it until the beat comes at least, and meanwhile enjoy all the tasty organic sounds and textures.

As usual i’m using the TR-8s for drums. This time i played the bass with the Minilogue XD. First time i use it for basses but hey.. it sounds huge! Lot of options including frequency modulation and waveshaping for an ever evolving bassline.
The Waldorf Rocket gets midi notes from the Minilogue XD itself and is used to underline buildups.
The Minibrute plays some chirps, made using the noise lfo to modulate the self oscillating filter.

In the very beginning you can hear the Spacecraft iPad app granulizing two homemade samples: a recording of my dishwasher and a bunch of woodblock hits i recorded years ago.

As you can see i played some toys too :)
A toy xylophone, gift from my mother, which i pitched down two octaves.
A singing bell, repitched and reversed.
A triangle, also pitched up after recording.
All these sounds are passed through a cool plugin called Chiavika, by Stocaudio.
It is used to emulate the granular effects achieved by the early electronic music experimenters using tape machines.

Then i used a cassette for a crunchy clap and a tinbox hit with the xylophone stick as an offbeat percussion. Both are recorded with a contact microphone passed through an iRig Pro interface and then in the Bias Amp app on my old iPhone for crunchier sounds.

The 2 expression pedals, connected to an iRig Blueboard, are used to control the Minilogue XD and the Rocket filter cutoff plus the Chiavika wet/dry knob and some spatial effect, for transitions.

Ableton Live is used as a master clock, as a midi sequencer and for effects.
All audio tracks are passed through an Mbox Pro 3 soundcard or using usb audio, and then recorded in Ableton.

Effects are mostly Ableton stock plus Soundtoys and Native Instruments plugins.

Video is a continuous take from two cameras (an iPhone and an iPad). I put together the two videos with the audio track in Ableton and then saturated the color in iMovie.

February 12, 2020  | person_outline Tim Webb
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft