« Forums | Gear News »
   New Post
   Search

CES 2019: Specdrums by Sphero

Last year robotic toy manufacturer Sphero purchased Specdrums, a startup whose Indiegogo campaign was featured here in 2017. This was a ring designed for playing music by taping on various colors. At CES this year Sphero has relaunched the Specdrums, with a new app arriving on the 15th. Unlike a lot of products shown at CES this week, you can purchase the new Specdrums today for $65 and they will ship out on the 15th.

Video Description:

Tap colors. Make Music. #Specdrums are musical rings that make the world your instrument by turning colors into sounds. Connect to the Specdrums app and tap on anything – your clothes, drawings, or the included playing pad – to create and mix any sounds, beats, and loops that all play through your mobile device. Jam on your own or with friends, anytime and anywhere.

January 08, 2019  | person_outline Tim Webb
It's not a terrible idea, but I'm skeptical. If the latency is VERY low, it might be ok. It must do something like combine the color it sees just before it gets a transducer pulse to generate the "note" selection. It's a lot smaller than a midi controller, but you have to look around for colorful objects to abuse.
January 08, 2019  | favorite_border stub
On January 08, 2019 - @stub said:
It's not a terrible idea, but I'm skeptical. If the latency is VERY low, it might be ok. It must do something like combine the color it sees just before it gets a transducer pulse to generate the "note" selection. It's a lot smaller than a midi controller, but you have to look around for colorful objects to abuse.

I disagree - I think this is a terrible idea. Will be gone and forgotten about in 2 years. Just terrible...
January 08, 2019  | person halftone
The latency will clear things out. Let's wait for some real world demos
January 08, 2019  | favorite_border eVr
On January 08, 2019 - @halftone said:

I disagree - I think this is a terrible idea. Will be gone and forgotten about in 2 years. Just terrible...
Ok. You've convinced me. It is a terrible idea.

There was an app out a few years ago, I think Secret Base Design made it. VoxKit? It would let you assign a trigger sound to real drum sounds. You tap a key on the counter to trigger one drum sound, thump a pen on a slice of cheese, another drum sound.

That app is gone.
January 08, 2019  | favorite_border stub
I really didn't find much useful info on the Sphero website about these. While the Buchla Marimba Lumina is/was a great instrument, the Specdrum seems very limited.
To what degree are the colors quantified? Can it tell the difference from viridian and chartreuse? How about the tertiary colors like sepia and ochre? Gun metal grey from battleship grey? The color resolution is the big question here.
January 09, 2019  | favorite_border Laarz
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit