« Forums | App News »
   New Post
   Search

Gavinski’s Tutorials: FAC Bandit Walkthrough

Gavinski’s Tutorials hasn't been featured here in a while, and I hope you guys don't think we've had some kind of dispute. I like Gavin, and he seems to tolerate me, but he's been doing some really stupid shit in a desperate attempt to pump YouTube views. He thinks that having his videos embedded here is detrimental to his burgeoning YouTubing career. I want to feature his stuff, but he's been disabling embedding on all of his videos. I've tried to explain that literally no one else does this, but he's determined to set his own course.

I have to respect that. It takes a lot courage to tell me to fuck off.

Fortunately Gavin is graciously making an exception for this video on FAC Bandit!

Video Description:

FAC Bandit is a fantastic multi-band FX processor for iOS (ipad/iphone), which also has multi-bus instance capabilities. If you don’t know what that is, this video will explain why it is so useful and show you how to set multi-bus instances up in AUM. The video shows you why a multi-band FX is so useful for all kinds of music making styles. We experiment with a variety of sounds - plucks, percussion and bass, and see just how experimental this app can get as a sound design tool.

Right out of the box this comes with various saturation, low-fi and ring mod algorithms and a bunch of great features like mute and solo per band. I highly recommend buying the IAPs for reverb and delay too.
Developer website: http://fredantoncorvest.com/

Timestamps:
00:00 First listen, giveaway details, walkthrough and tweaking ideas
19:30 On drums, presets demo
28:30 How to set up and why to use multi-bus instances.
33:58 Bass example and outro

October 12, 2020  | person_outline Tim Webb
Tim, is there are a downside to you when watching embedded videos on YouTube instead of on Discchord? I figure the least I can do for someone kind enough to upload a video is to like it but would need to reconsider if that were detrimental to you.
Fuck off, Tim! :-) :-)
October 12, 2020  | person_outline Anonymous Courage
On October 12, 2020 - @Philandering Bastard said:
Tim, is there are a downside to you when watching embedded videos on YouTube instead of on Discchord? I figure the least I can do for someone kind enough to upload a video is to like it but would need to reconsider if that were detrimental to you.
His concern is that embedded views don't count as "views" to YouTube. That's why my videos have such low views. https://www.youtube.com/discchord ... There are about 3,000 people who come to this site every day, but according to YouTube's count only 200 people watched the Let's Play with Electric Vintage. This could potentially have some negative impact on YouTube's mysterious algorithm. I don't know. No one outside of YouTube knows.

I don't care, because views and likes don't mean shit. Patrons are the only metric I care about, and the only one that matters to any YouTuber because YouTube's ad payout is pitiful.

I wouldn't actively discourage people from embedding my videos in an effort to boost my views or appease an algorithm. Getting people to watch where ever and however is all that matters; whether YouTube counts it or not is unimportant. Converting those people to Patrons is the only path to success if you're trying to be a YouTuber.

I'm honestly more amused than annoyed with Gavin though. Everyone else that emails me wants me to feature them. Avoiding being featured on the site is a refreshing change! I'm struggling so fucking hard to find an audience for my programming videos. I lucked into all my success with music app videos. Those instantly hit with every site and got me a huge subscription bump overnight. I feel like I'm making the best videos Python videos; they just aren't getting in front of the right eyeballs. I would love for them to be featured on any relevant site! It feels weird having someone reject what I desire so intensely.
On October 12, 2020 - @Tim Webb said:
His concern is that embedded views don't count as "views" to YouTube.

But that's just not true. Embedded views are counted as views as long as they are not set to autoplay. Autoplay doesn't count, but if a person clicks play, it counts regardless of where it was hosted.

Furthermore, you can see where people are coming from in your analytics and, for me, discchord has always been a nice boost, so thanks Tim!

In fact, the discchord post for my last video was lost in the Major Database Disaster (https://discchord.com/appnews/2020/08/29/major-database-disaster) and I can see how the views from discchord abruptly stop and don't quite match previous posts (insert sad-face emoji)
October 12, 2020  | favorite_border ajp
On October 12, 2020 - @ajp said:

But that's just not true. Embedded views are counted as views as long as they are not set to autoplay. Autoplay doesn't count, but if a person clicks play, it counts regardless of where it was hosted.

Furthermore, you can see where people are coming from in your analytics and, for me, discchord has always been a nice boost, so thanks Tim!
You're looking at traffic though, which is represented as a percentage of "impressions" ... which is not the same as the views thing that YouTube shows on your videos. I'm not 100% certain of this, and I could be very wrong, but the whole thing is intentionally convoluted with YouTube deliberately omitting some information.

Let's take a look at the latest Let's Play's analytics for the last couple of weeks.

Here is the normal view of the analytics:
https://discchord.com/storage/post-images/NotImpressive.png

Note here that it shows External is 56.2% of "traffic" and of that 56.2% discchord.com is 66.7%.

Now if you go into the Advanced View it makes even less sense because they are redacting a huge chunk of the external data.

https://discchord.com/storage/post-images/NotImpressive2.png

Again I want to point out that I have no idea about any of this. I'm just making a lot of assumptions based on the available information, please do not take any of this as even remotely reliable.

Here the video allegedly only has 209 views, with 1706 "impressions" and none of the impression data from external sources is included. Which leads to weird numbers. Like look at the click-through rate. It says up the top that it's getting a 2.3% rate. Then below that it lists the sources of that rate as:

Browse features: 1.8%
YouTube search: 5.6%
Channel pages: 3.5%

Which adds up to a lot more than 2.3% so we should probably take those as a percentage of that 2.3% rate at the top; as they did with the External > discchord.com percentages. So to figure out the external rate we add these and figure out how much is missing.

1.8 + 5.6 + 3.5 = 10.96% of the 2.3%. Meaning that 89.04% of my "click-throughs" are unaccounted for. And how did 6 people watch the video from Notifications without clicking through the notification!?

Okay now let's assume I suck and everyone hates me. This is a reasonable line of inquiry!

According to YouTube 118 of my 209 views come from external sources. If I click through that I get this:

https://discchord.com/storage/post-images/NotImpressive3.png

Which says that only 77 of people from discchord have watched the video.

You can see the site traffic for yourself here. https://discchord.com/sponsorship/

There were 648,000 views last month. I try very hard to keep bots from counting. If I counted bots that would be fraudulent to then sell those bot views to advertisers. My analytics are way more accurate than Goggle's because they work even if you're using AdBlocker or ANY of the many privacy filters that block Google's shit. Google's little tag that I have to include in every page is blocked by everything that cares about privacy. My count is server-side. Just like the site ads slip past AdBlock, while the Google ads get those big nasty grey guilt-trip boxes.

For those of you that actually browse the site without AdBlock, they look like this:
https://discchord.com/storage/post-images/LeadboardBlocked.jpg

So either my count is wildly inaccurate, only a few people actually come to this site, and my whole life has been a lie. Or YouTube's assertion that only 77 people watched that video is incorrect, based off of intentionally incomplete information.
On October 12, 2020 - @Tim Webb said:
You're looking at traffic though, which is represented as a percentage of "impressions" ... which is not the same as the views thing that YouTube shows on your videos.
Actually, impressions are only tracked on YouTube, not through external sources: "How many times your video thumbnails were shown to viewers. Includes only impressions on YouTube, not on external sites or apps."
I'm looking at views and the numbers add up. But does that mean people viewed on discchord or that they went to YouTube? I don't know for certain, but I kind of doubt people went to YouTube that many times, I'm sure most people just view the embedded video.

Moreover, there are several article online that state that embedded views count as views. The only time they don't is if autoplay is activated.

Like look at the click-through rate. It says up the top that it's getting a 2.3% rate. Then below that it lists the sources of that rate as:

Browse features: 1.8%
YouTube search: 5.6%
Channel pages: 3.5%

Which adds up to a lot more than 2.3% so we should probably take those as a percentage of that 2.3% rate at the top; as they did with the External > discchord.com percentages. So to figure out the external rate we add these and figure out how much is missing.

1.8 + 5.6 + 3.5 = 10.96% of the 2.3%. Meaning that 89.04% of my "click-throughs" are unaccounted for. And how did 6 people watch the video from Notifications without clicking through the notification!?
Click through rate is per line. I.e. you had 1336 impressions through "Browse features" and 1.8% of those impressions resulted in click throughs. As YouTube states: "Views per impressions shown. This measures how often viewers watched a video after seeing an impression. "

That said, the numbers don't add up, but that's the YouTube fudge-factor as they don't actually count every impression.

Here's more info: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9314486?hl=en

Anyway, the point is that embeds do count, so Gavin shouldn't restrict them and discchord is a great site to be on!
October 13, 2020  | favorite_border ajp
Look, it's not about view counts. This has already even discussed at length on the AB Forum and I'm not going to go into detail again. Ultimately it is about engagement. When people watch my vids on their browser, whether here or the AB Forum, they are less likely to comment, like, subscribe etc In fact it became clear in some discussions on AB that a lot of people have a thing against youtube and actively prefer to watch in AB using their browser so they don't see ads etc.

Not embedding videos doesn't mean people can't watch them. It is literally zero inconvenience but has some benefits for me. I spend a lot of time on thse videos and researching new apps. It's not asking a lot to want people to view them in the place that's best for my channel. Which is in youtube itself. These videos are extremely useful for people - liking, subbing and commenting are very little price to pay. Why do you think Jakob doesn't post his full videos on Facebook - he posts short teasers which direct people to then view the full video in youtube.

@philandering bastard thank you for that, my sentiments exactly 😝
October 13, 2020  | person_outline Gavinski
That said, Tim, you're probably right that converting people to Patreons is the only thing that really matters when your views are as low as they are in the iOS scene, it's just too niche to make much from youtube ad revenue
October 13, 2020  | person_outline Gavinski
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft