« Forums | App News »
   New Post
   Search

App Sales: Black Friday 2019

Roughly 3428954382954 new apps join the sales list today, including the new miRack and FabFilter apps! Syntorial's $130 unlock IAP has been reduced to $65 today.

If you missed them, here are the previous sales from this week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Discchord Advertising Black Friday Deal

I'm also getting in on today's action! I've been unable to sell Leaderboard slots. This is driving me mad because I think they're great spots. They're the banners you see between articles. They're right there in the news feed! No one seems to want them though, so for this weekend only I've slashed the price on those down to $50. If you purchase a slot at this price you get to keep that price for all future months going forward!

Saturday Additions

New Music Showcase

Every year I like to use the Black Friday sales week as an opportunity to flex my hipster cred! Every day this week I'll be sharing some of my favorite new music that I've found this year.

This showcase is primarily focused on sharing lesser known and indie artists. I've got an odd selection for you today. You are probably already aware of Billie Eilish. She's been blowing up for the last couple of years. But most readers here are men, at or approaching middle-age, so you're not in her typical demographic. I'd like to explain Billie Eilish to middle-aged men.

Pop music has taken a sharp turn in the last couple of years. Kids in the UK are abusing the hell out of Xanax and other benzos, while here in the States we're dealing with unprecedented levels of opioid addiction. This has had a dramatic affect on popular music. From UK's scene to Florida's new lean (an opiate cough syrup), music is shifting towards a darker somniferous tone. Society will be dealing with the aftermath of these drugs for a generation, but Pop hasn't sounded this good in 30 years. If you miss Grunge, you need to give Billie a listen. This is the modern Grunge. This is that same angst, with barely-lucid dark depths, re-contextualized for the early 21st century.

Her debut LP is packed full of well produced hits. You'll find that grungey quality most pronounced in tracks like bury a friend, and you should see me in a crown, but I'm most fond of the mature reflection we hear in when the party's over.

November 29, 2019  | person_outline Tim Webb
Thanks for the Saturday Update on the list, Tim!
November 30, 2019  | person_outline Pete
I’m not finding EG Pulse on offer 😕 !!!
November 30, 2019  | person AwesomeSupaDupa
On November 30, 2019 - @AwesomeSupaDupa said:
I’m not finding EG Pulse on offer 😕 !!!

Yeah, looks like that sale has ended. In fact several sales have, but the App Store API is being shitty so it is slow to report that.
On November 30, 2019 - @Tim Webb said:

Yeah, looks like that sale has ended. In fact several sales have, but the App Store API is being shitty so it is slow to report that.

Sure they’ll be another offer, always is… thanks for keeping these lists going !!!
November 30, 2019  | person AwesomeSupaDupa
I do miss Grunge, I miss it a great deal. Haven't heard much of Billie before, but now I definitely will look into her more. She was inspired by Aurora, which is another youngster whose music I absolutely love. Her cover of God is a Woman on youtube is god tier amazing. Murder song is also incredible, in fact, most of her live stuff is bafflingly good.

I agree with what you said about pop music in the past decades, it's been kinda.. Not bad, per se, but it has had an obnoxiously cheerful vibe to it in relation to what we see unfolding in the world. It's like the soundtrack was at odds with reality. Like a dixyband playing the soundtrack to the shining, something doesn't quite jive. Singing about love and sunshine during the age of growing fascism and white supremacism seems intensely dumb. The youngsters know that is the case, and they're bringing the gloom once more!

If I may be granted a platform to praise the youngsters:

I could not be happier with Gen Z's contributions to the world. So far they've already put gen Xers to shame by just standing up for the planet and actually caring - LOUDLY. Without letting the olders shame and bully them into silence by belittling their arguments and infantilizing their arguments eventhough they are backed 100% by science. Instead the youngsters obliterated the olds with two fucking words. OK Boomer. I wish I had that power as a youngster.. To shut down older people who are obviously less intelligent and knowledgeable than I was on a NUMBER of topics would have been great. Boomers have disregarded all people younger than them as "blueyed idiots" for as long as I have lived. It's a generation that has done NOTHING but shit on their kids and grandkids. The reckoning is here, and it is glorious. Just as their generation starts grappling with dementia, we'll burn their whole fucking fantasy world down around them.

Sooner or later, a generation of worth would emerge. Kids of the grunge generation is shaping up amazingly well, and at least in that respect, their parents should take a smidge of pride in at least inspiring their kids to do what we, the grunge generation, should have done the first time around: Make the elite shit their fucking pants. Instead many of us helped our parents coddle the rich.

Support your kids, folks. They're the only ones keen on fighting.
December 01, 2019  | person_outline VGA Port Authority
@VGA Port Authority: Yes! I'm particularly fond of her Teardrop cover, which I featured in another sales post a couple of years ago:
https://discchord.com/appnews/2017/12/19/app-sales
I decided to pick up FabFilter's EQ. Seems like too versatile a plugin to pass up.

It does have MIDI learn, which makes it an interesting option for some realtime control. I just emailed to ask if it supports hi-res controls-- handy both for smooth sweeps from realtime knobs, and also for setting precise values in a track for pitched effects.
December 01, 2019  | favorite_border stub
I have DDMF's wonderful "Directional EQ" for desktop.

If any of you do any kind of transcribing or are trying to learn parts that are tucked in a mix, Directional EQ let's you MUTE & SOLO (!!) locations within the panorama. If something is panned 25% left of center, you can mute it!

As a processor, it might not be especially useful to be able to EQ a specific slice of the panorama. But talk about a mastering problem solver!
December 02, 2019  | favorite_border stub
A student of mine did a lovely version of ldontwannabeuanymore at a recital accompanied by her ukulele. It’s nice to hear some more complex harmonic structures than the usual off the shelf progressions in current pop music. However me seeing Billie Eilish featured on a laptop during a visit at the local Apple Store a while back ruins any hipster creed you are trying to get from featuring her here Tim, despite the interest of the music.
December 02, 2019  | favorite_border Laarz
On December 02, 2019 - @stub said:
I have DDMF's wonderful "Directional EQ" for desktop.

If any of you do any kind of transcribing or are trying to learn parts that are tucked in a mix, Directional EQ let's you MUTE & SOLO (!!) locations within the panorama. If something is panned 25% left of center, you can mute it!

As a processor, it might not be especially useful to be able to EQ a specific slice of the panorama. But talk about a mastering problem solver!

@stub - Awesome comment! I have held off on getting DDMF’s Directional EQ for the longest as their 6144 Equalizer frankly nailed the Neve sound! The 6144 has become one of my favorite plugins for iOS music production, and can be the “Secret Sauce” to really make most tracks simply “shine”, and that’s by its gain functionality alone!

Perhaps when I get the cash I should give their Directional EQ a go. It’s definitely a unique product to say the least. I don’t think many could disagree that DDMF puts out some very top-shelf product!

I use Final Touch for mastering on the iPad, and I’m not very good at using it either! Any thoughts on Final Touch? I would love to hear them.

~ Jay
December 03, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft