Retronyms has just released Phase84 for Samsung tablets and phones! This is possibly thanks to Samsung's Professional Audio SDK, which provides for truly low latency performance on the Android platform! I asked Retronym's co-founder JP Walton about how good the latency truly is:
"Latency is great. It feels the same as an iPad on the test devices we have here."
The app even supports Samsung's SoundCamp, a free mobile DAW complete with sequencer! All of this is some pretty exciting news for owners of Samsung Galaxy S5+, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Tab S2, and Galaxy Tab 5.
Phase84 for Android:
Phase84 includes over 110 presets including basses, leads, pads, bell tones, sweeps, atmospheric sounds, pseudo-realistic tones, and more. Users can tweak the synth using a combination of advanced envelope, LFO, Delay, Filter, and Oscillator settings. Phase84 includes features for expressive performance, a groove editor, and an advanced multi-octave keyboard.
Phase84 will be available exclusively from Samsung Galaxy Apps for $4.99. According to Retronyms, it takes advantage of Samsung’s Professional Audio SDK (SAPA) to deliver low latency performance. Samsung Galaxy devices including Galaxy S5, S6, S6 Edge, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Tab 5, and Galaxy Tab S2 support Samsung’s Pro Audio tech making this the first version of Phase84 to run on phones as well as tablets.
Phase84 also integrates with SoundCamp, a free mobile DAW by Samsung. Users can seamlessly load the synth into a track in SoundCamp, then record and edit notes on a piano roll sequencer. Combining Phase84 with other tracks, virtual instruments, and recorded audio, allows users to create full compositions and finished songs.
Phase84 features include:
- Advanced Keyboard section controls portamento, polyphony, pitchbend, mod wheel mapping, octave & more.
- Expressive Perform Mode with Groove Gate and two axis controllers.
- Naturalistic unison for super thick pads and sweeps.
- Oscillator Section: 9 Params, 2 General-Purpose Oscillators, 1 Formant Oscillator.
- Mix Section: 8 Params including Delay Amount and Pulse Width.
- Envelope Section: Amplitude & Shaper Envelopes. Fully visualized & interactive ADSR plus special Fade Param.
- Delay/Filter Section: Stereo delay with loss modeling and a punchy overdriven analog-style filter.
- 3 LFOs: 4 waveforms, optional delay and repeat count, and can go into the audible frequency range.
- Samsung Professional Audio technology.
- SoundCamp Support.