The Propellerheads have surprised everyone, including me, with their release of Thor for the iPad. Thor is one of the key elements of the Propellerheads Reason DAW, offering vast modulation and a modular design. Perhaps most surprising of all is the fact that it is a direct port! Nothing has been stripped from the iPad version! This means you can use patches made on the PC/Mac with the iPad version and vice versa!
Thor Polysonic Synthesizer iTunes Description:
Thor for iPad puts the mighty Thor synthesizer at your fingertips. Reason's legendary flagship synth delivers a thunderous sound, god-like sound sculpting capabilities and an innovative, lighting-fast keyboard designed for iPad. Thor is a synthesis playground, a flexible sonic workhorse, but above all, an expressive musical instrument for the iPad.
Thor sounds like no synthesizer you've ever heard before - and every single one of them. Where other synths use one specific form of synthesis and one single filter, the Thor polysonic synthesizer features six different oscillator types and four unique filters. What does this give you? Simply the most powerful synth ever created; an unstoppable monster of a sound generator that utilizes synthesizer technology from the last 40 years.
On the iPad, Thor comes with a specially designed interface that's optimized for touch control and the iPad screen. Cleverly designed panels expand and fold at the touch of a button to hide or reveal oscillators, filters, envelopes and more.
• Play Reason's Thor Polysonic Synthesizer on the iPad.
• Load any of the 1000+ expertly crafted synth patches, or create your own from scratch.
• Create your sounds using a palette of multiple oscillator and filter types.
• Play Thor using an expressive touch interface keyboard with aftertouch and strumming.
• Collapse the keyboard to a key and scale of your choice, just like in Figure.
• Move your favourite patches from the iPad to your computer and use them with Thor in Reason.
General App features:
- Patch compatible with Thor in Reason on your computer
- Move patches to and from your iPad using iTunes
- Sound bank with more than 1000 Thor patches from leading artists & sound designers (Kill the Noise, Richard Devine, Chris Petti and many more)
- Gorgeous retina display interface
- MIDI in - play Thor from an external MIDI source or from another app on the same iPad
- Audiobus compatible - stream audio from Thor to another audio app on the same iPad
- Audio in background option lets Thor keep playing in the background when working with other apps.
Note: We recommend using Thor for iPad with iPad 2 or later.
I've been playing with Thor quite a lot this morning and I am loving it! As an Ableton Live user and a synthesist, Thor has been a major temptation for me to explore Reason, but I've resisted thus far. I thought I'd avoid the temptation all together by having it on my iPad, but I think this may have back-fired! Propellerheads' nefarious plan to offer a complete version of Thor for $15 is perfect. Now I have a whole bunch of my own Thor patches that will tempt me to dive into Reason, so I can use them there. Fiendish!