Positive Grid Inc released BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone App. I love the humorous hubris of the app's full name. Apple has encouraged developers to put a lot of silly shit in app names, which I usually truncate. For this article I'll be using the full name because if you sort all of the guitar tone apps by their App Store ratings, BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone App is definitely the first one at the bottom of the list. Congratulations, you're number one!
Positive Grid seriously botched this. The 1 Star Reviews aren't even about the fact that BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone App doesn't have AUv3. They aren't even that bothered by the fact that BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone App doesn't include the IAA insert effects of the original BIAS FX 1; which is now confusingly, but assuredly, the #2 Guitar Tone App. Just about every loyal Positive Grid fan is feeling fucked by their promises of being able to transfer purchases from BIAS FX 1 - #2 Guitar Tone App to BIAS FX 2, which you'll no doubt recall, is the #1 Guitar Tone App.
Instead owners of BIAS FX1 - #2 Guitar Tone App are discovering that essential items are not transferred from their purchase. While Positive Grid is overflowing with words to name their apps, they were a bit reticent with the full details of the transfer. Only purchased "packs" transfer, not any of the stuff that came with the original purchase of BIAS FX 1 - #2 Guitar Tone App. For those essential items you'll need to cough up about $60. I'm not exactly sure on the price because their shit is buggy, and I've lost patience with trying to understand this mess.
BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone AppBIAS FX 2 Mobile transforms your mobile device into the ultimate all-in-one guitar effects processor, letting you explore hundreds of premium amps, pedals, and studio racks to create your dream guitar tone. Now plug in and PLAY WITHOUT LIMITS - Anywhere, Anytime.
GUITAR RIG PARADISE
Build to your heart’s content – with a gorgeous user interface, an intuitive drag-and-drop operation, and a massive library of world-class guitar and bass amps, pedals, and effects, you can easily create a rig that’s true to you and your playing style for the ultimate custom guitar tone. Amplify your creativity!
EXCLUSIVE GUITAR MATCH
Looking to transform your guitar into a collection of legendary axes? Thanks to our groundbreaking Guitar Match technology, you can make your guitar sound like a classic American guitar, a vintage LP, and an array of highly-coveted guitar models. Whether you’re recording, performing, or jamming at home, you’ll have a collection of iconic modern and vintage guitars with you at all times – right in your mobile device.
YOUR TONE STUDIO ON THE GO
Practice, record, and jam with Looper, the perfect companion for nailing down riffs and solos for your song ideas. Don’t miss a note – hit the Record button whenever inspiration strikes! Feeling creative? BIAS FX 2 Mobile supports AudioBus, GarageBand, and other IAA host applications so you can take your tones even further.
PRIMED FOR THE BIG STAGE
Ready to rock the show? Forget packing all your effects and hauling your pedalboard to the gig – carry all your gear in your iPhone/iPad with BIAS FX 2 Mobile so you’ll never miss a beat. Fire up LiveView and switch up your entire rig on the fly instantly using a single tap – with zero latency.
UNLIMITED TONES TO DOWNLOAD
Connect to ToneCloud®, discover and download over thousands of custom rigs created by artists, producers, and recording engineers. Got tones? Upload your own custom guitar rig and share with fellow musicians from across the world!
- Ultimate Tone Arsenal – build your dream rig with *101 effects, 35 amps, 25 cabs, 4 mics
- Dual Signal Path – create unique dual amp hybrid setups for your ultimate custom tone
- HD Sound Engine – explore hyper-realistic and detailed tones, backed by our award-winning BIAS tone engine
- Factory Presets – dial in your dream guitar tone in an instant with 77 pre-made rigs of all genres
- Guitar Match – turn your guitar into a collection of 20 legendary axes, right in your pocket!
- Looper – practice, record, overdub, and develop song ideas whenever inspiration strikes
- LiveView – single tap to switch up your rig instantly, with zero latency
- Impulse Response – load your favorite custom cab IR files for even more tonal possibilities
- Celestion® Inside – access official-licensed Celestion cabs (IR) right within BIAS FX 2 Mobile (coming soon)
- BIAS Ecosystem – load all your favorite gear from BIAS AMP 2 & BIAS Pedal (coming soon) within the app
- ToneCloud® – easily share & download custom guitar rigs and artist tones online
- IAA (inter-app audio) and AudioBus support
- Full MIDI support (coming soon)
- Tuner and metronome built in
- 9 expansion packs available for exploring all-new sounds (via in-app purchase)
*Unlocked via Standard, Professional or Elite license.
BIAS FX 2 Mobile supports iOS 11 or later.
Supported Audio Interfaces: iRig (all series), Apogee Jam/Jam Plus, Focusrite iTrack Solo, Shure MVi, Korg plugKEY, iConnect AUDIO and all MFi or Class Compliant audio interfaces with Lightning to USB adapter.
I wasn't invested in their ecosystem so I'm not personally bent by their bewildering transfer promises. Instead I'm completely baffled by the absence of AUv3 in the #1 Guitar Tone App. BIAS FX 2 - #1 Guitar Tone App is limited to Inter-App Audio! Astute readers will recall IAA was deprecated by Apple. At Apple's sole discretion some future iOS update will remove IAA, and Apple are strongly discouraging devs from using it in new apps.