« Cubasis Tutorial: Transferring Your In-App Purchases | App News | shapesynth Update »

Cubasis 3 by Steinberg

Steinberg just released Cubasis 3! One of the key differences in this version is Universal iOS support! This is an entirely new app, and at the time of this writing there is no bundle discount for Cubasis 2 owners. However they've made sure you can freely transfer your Cubasis 2 In-App Purchases to the new Cubasis 3!

Cubasis 3 App Store Description:

Quickly and easily capture your musical ideas as soon as they arrive and turn them into professional-sounding songs with the multi-award winning Cubasis 3. Enjoy performing, recording, mixing and sharing your music in no time, wherever you are, right there on your iPhone and iPad. Meet one of the fastest, most intuitive and complete audio and MIDI DAWs available on iOS today: Cubasis 3.

NEW IN CUBASIS 3
• A brand-new Cubasis: The next gen mobile music creation app
• Universal app support: Run Cubasis on the iPhone and iPad
• Cubasis for iPhone: Create great music in the palm of your hand
• Group tracks: Easily combine individual tracks to groups
• Full-screen mixer: Easily extend the size of the mixer and more
• New look, same feel: Enjoy creating more efficiently
• Free Cubasis 2 IAP transfer: Freely transfer previous in-app purchases to Cubasis 3
• 960 PPQN MIDI resolution: Precise audio and MIDI event editing at the highest level
• 8 insert, 8 send effects: Create great-sounding tracks with flexible effects options
• FX rearrangement: Quickly rearrange plug-ins and change their pre/post fader position
• 75 new effects presets: Make tracks sound great with these ready-to-use presets
• Undo with history list: Quickly jump back to earlier versions of your song
• Redesigned instruments and effects: Modern styling with more precise operation
• Audio, MIDI and automation editors revisited: File editing is much more effective
• Revised MediaBay: Your all-new control center for file and project management
• UI scale presets for iPhone and iPad: Quickly change the size and arrangement of Cubasis
• Overdub and looper recording modes: Choose the best mode for your recordings
• MicroSonic instruments refill: Get creative with great-sounding new instruments
• Improvements and maintenance: Enjoy the highest performance and rock-solid stability

HIGHLIGHTS
• Unlimited number of audio and MIDI tracks
• 24 assignable physical inputs and outputs
• 32-bit floating-point audio engine
• Audio I/O resolution of up to 24-bit/96 kHz
• Real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting featuring zplane’s élastique 3
• Micrologue virtual analog synthesizer with 126 ready-to-go presets
• MicroSonic with over 120 virtual instrument sounds
• MiniSampler to create your own instruments (includes 20 factory instruments)
• Mixer with studio-grade channel strip per track and 17 effects processors
• Fully automatable DJ-like Spin FX effect plug-in
• Over 550 MIDI and time-stretch-capable audio loops
• Virtual keyboard, chord and drum pads with intuitive note repeat
• Audio editor and MIDI editor with MIDI CC support
• MIDI editor for programming and editing MIDI tracks quickly and efficiently
• MIDI auto quantize
• Track duplicate
• Automation, MIDI CC, program change and aftertouch support
• Core Audio and MIDI-compatible hardware supported
• MIDI over Bluetooth LE support
• Load favorite third-party instruments and effects plug-ins via Audio Unit, Audio Unit MIDI, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus 3
• Import audio via iTunes, iCloud Drive, Files app, AirDrop or use AudioPaste
• MIDI clock and MIDI thru support
• Export to Cubase, iCloud Drive, external hard drives, wireless flash drives, Dropbox, AudioCopy and email

Technical support

If you like Cubasis, please support us by rating this app in the App Store! Thank you!

Reader Comments 32

Unbelievably excited about this app!
I understand this way of earning money, I cannot expect to have full support and upgradability for an app I bought three years ago. But, still no goddamn Ableton Link. Why?
And can I carry over my projects from v2?
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Erik Ooms
So does this now support tempo change like everybody else? If not I’m outta here, as a switched on style classical artist .. tempo and time signature change is a must.
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Chris Strobel
Still no MPE support and also no Ableton Link. :-(
December 18, 2019  | person Plø
On December 18, 2019 - @Chris Strobel said:
This, and they need to do it right! ...meaning, they need to allow you to define the "terms" of the time-signature-- which for this type of technology just means:

1. how does the tempo in BPM relate to the time-signatures defined beat unit
2. what is the default beat division for the time signature (which isn't necessary, but elegant).

For tempo changes, there can be an option to change tempo smoothly, (or even with curves) vs. changing in steps.
December 18, 2019  | favorite_border stub
Oh geez IOS 13 only. I do have one iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen) with 13 on it, but it still has some issues, and there is no way I’m going to upgrade my perfectly stable and awesome running 12.3.1 iPads just to run this (I frequently move projects around between 3 iPad Pro’s) Plus it’s not looking promising for tempo change in the new version .. I scoured the web for mention of tempo change in it and have not come across even a peep of mention about it. Tempo change is a pretty basic friggin DAW feature .. even Nanostudio has it. Kinda bummed here.
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Chris Strobel
On December 18, 2019 - @stub said:

1. how does the tempo in BPM relate to the time-signatures defined beat unit

Sounds good Stub, I say we vote you in as new CEO of Steinberg :)
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Chris Strobel
On December 18, 2019 - @Erik Ooms said:
And can I carry over my projects from v2?

Yes you can import your cubasis 2 projects over with ease. Tested import/export today and working flawlessly.
On December 18, 2019 - @MobileMusicPro said:

Great, thanks
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Erik Ooms
Hmm, group tracks and FX management is almost worth the price of admission but I think I'll wait til the inevitable $24.99 sale.
December 18, 2019  | person jimhanks
Looks a decent upgrade but I’ll delay for price reduction.I do get that if this is a major rewrite that money needs to change hands but don’t Steinberg normally offer upgrade discounts?
Waiting for the Tempo Track possibility.
Right now only one audio editor on iOS has that ability (Auria Pro), but it's buggy as hell. Yes, I found a workaround to have the thing work
It seems that here we still not having Tempo Track.
I have a huge multitrack recording from studio, and it's recorded not with a click
in Auria Pro I can record the tempo track alongside the tracks, to lay down midi stuff upon it.
But it would be great to have it in Cubasis too, or in any other DAW
December 18, 2019  | favorite_border eVr
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who immediately scanned the feature list for "tempo track".
December 18, 2019  | person Roikat
On December 18, 2019 - @eVr said:
Waiting for the Tempo Track possibility.
It seems that here we still not having Tempo Track.
But it would be great to have it in Cubasis too, or in any other DAW

Nanostudio 2 has tempo and time signature .. and audio recording is in the works. If he adds more Midi CC control it’ll be a no brainer over here. I hear you on Auria Pro :( Every couple months I revisit Auria and mess with it hoping it’ll start jelling with me .. but then I give up in frustration and go back to Cubasis .. where I then get frustrated because I can’t work on any of my computer DAW projects because of no tempo change .. of which my classical stuff has tons of .. so then it’s back to Reaper on the computer .. till the fan noise from my gaming computers drive me nuts .. then the whole process repeats lol.
December 18, 2019  | person_outline Chris Strobel
Are mixer and effects midi controllable like AUM?
December 19, 2019  | person_outline Derek Davidson
Whenever a developer says they rewrote it from scratch or from the ground-up... I say bollocks. Where’s the proof? Tons of new bugs?
December 19, 2019  | person dysamoria
On December 18, 2019 - @Chris Strobel said:

Look into MultiTrackStudio for tempo and time sig change done right (including clicktrack) with score notation editing for midi as well

Meanwhile nice to have Cubasis on iPhone
Dysamoria: When devs say "from scratch" it’s usually to do with stuff you never see. For example, this time around the audio engine is new, the UI is redone to make room for new features, i.e. The media bay, channel strip, effect sends and receives, mixer, timeline and waveforms, the midi resolution is bumped and so on and so forth. that’s pretty much the entire app redone.

There is ample proof that they did a MASSIVE rewrite of code for this release. When they literally changed everything whilst making it still be familiar, they likely remade it from scratch just to get stuff right, instead of just cramming buttons into a design that never had space set aside for all the new channel strip shit for example.

I have no trouble believing that they rewrote a whole bunch of shit.
December 20, 2019  | person_outline VGA Port Authority
I dont believe existing customers should ever EVER pay full price on an upgrade, this is just how it goes. If you coming to it as a new customer then sure, but no, not when I already paid in, nope fuck no.
December 21, 2019  | person_outline Cyp3
STEINBERG CUBASIS 3 — AN OPEN LETTER

I was elated to get online, and see that Steinberg released their third iteration of Cubasis, which has become my favorite all around iOS DAW... well, that was until I saw the “$49.99” button to ”upgrade” the damn thing, to install it onto my iPhone, you know, the place where it belongs! So, after a bit of research, including on Steinberg’s own blog, I see that this was in fact no mistake, and then came the inevitable point where I could feel my heart drop out of my chest, almost making me sick.

OK, Lars & Co., a bit about my background, and how it’s relevant to this discussion. A long time ago (read: before my kids turned my hair gray, actually more of a sexy “salt & pepper”, but that’s another discussion entirely), I did my undergrad at Oxford University where I learned both the art & science of software engineering, so I get it better than most that quality software does indeed come at a price, and no one could argue that Steinberg is synonymous with quality. Well, flash forward a decade-or-so, I took up business in graduate school, eventually segueing into a position as CFO of a global company. Now, being highly qualified to say so, the ALIENATION OF LONG-STANDING, PAYING CUSTOMERS, one’s that have BEEN LOYAL TO THE BRAND is, how do we say, um, BAD FUCKING BUSINESS! Period.

I get that in order to accomplish certain tasks in the realm of software engineering, that it is sometimes a necessity to build a piece of software from the “ground up” as certain legacy tools, and environments, are no longer suitable to continue ensuring quality updates that are industry competitive. For instance, it was most likely actually necessary to start from a clean slate, in order to make Cubasis 3 a Universal App, as the “legacy” Cubasis app is now pushing 6-years in production. A lot changes in software in a period of just one or two years, so I could imagine how the now stale libraries, builds, and tools, could no longer simply justify the additions of “bells & whistles”, and still be called viable product improvements.

My issue with the good folks at Steinberg (read: NOT sarcasm) at the present juncture is that they are not recognizing (read: flat-out ignoring loyal customers in the anticipation of potential product margin) the value of a hard-won, solid, customer base that TAKES YEARS TO CULTIVATE, and that unfortunately many of these customers who’s dedication lasted years, could be LITERALLY LOST IN A FEW SECONDS secondary to A SINGLE PISS-POOR BUSINESS DECISION.

The reality is that Cubasis 3 is NOT A “NEW APP”, as Steinberg has publicly suggested it to be, rather it is a successor to Cubasis 2. A “new app” does not have identical design language, coupled with the ability to use the project files from the immediate past version, and most of all, a “new app” wouldn’t allow end-users to use their IAPs purchased for the app it is NOT replacing. I am almost laughing at that last sentence as I read it back as it simply patronizes the user-base, as if they are fools that cannot tell apart an apple from an orange. (Side Note: I’m fairly certain that the handful of third party publishers of the IAPs aren’t making a dime off the generosity of Steinberg extending their functionality into this “new app”, while Steinberg still earns a sale of $49.99 per unit here in the USA.) One thing that I have learned in my many years in business, especially in the technology industry, is that users may be open to product designers telling them what they need (something that Steve Jobs spoke of time, and time again), that they love simplicity (another lesson learned from Apple), and value for that matter (speaking of Apple, THEY HAVE NOT CHARGED A DIME FOR AN OS X/ MAC OS UPGRADE SINCE OS X WAS INTRODUCED 18-YEARS AGO!!!), however they will not tolerate a company that openly regards them as idiots that are not capable of comprehending very obvious things.

If it looks like an apple (read: seriously, no pun intended), if it’s shaped like an apple, and if it tastes like an apple, well, IT’S AN APPLE, NOT AN ORANGE!

The bottom line is that Steinberg, who I really do recognize as a great name in the industry, simply MADE A GINORMOUS FUCKUP by not even offering a discount to current owners of Cubasis 2. The app would have been just as profitable by charging the same, $49.99 price, to NEW CUSTOMERS. Other options could have been an IAP in Cubasis 3 to extend some of the new functionality to existing customers, while keeping the base price of $49.99 for NEW CUSTOMERS. Frankly, there are many great DAWs selling on the iOS App Store, one’s that are also high quality, with some of those options being FAR LESS EXPENSIVE, and others being EVEN MORE POWERFUL in some key areas. Though NanoStudio 2 came close to “nailing it” as a universal iOS DAW, it comes short by lacking mono & stereo audio tracks, something that Cubasis has always provided, something that I have been waiting for on my iPhone.

So, this was all around, bad business, and as I recently saw a comment in Steinberg’s Blog informing a user that they are not a “charitable organization” (read: once again, it’s not good business practices to use a condescending tone towards paying customers), and “have to pay their development team” (read: the development team is paid with those profits generated by the paying customers, who as a whole, are not very happy right now), this is not the way to generate substantial profit margins either, as THE PROOF IS IN THE CUSTOMER REACTION. Every business undergrad learns about the concept of “THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS”, and I’m sorry Steinberg, but this is EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS, simply another give and take when making a decision to keep a product alive, instead of calling it quits altogether, and no longer continuing the product lifecycle. In every business, there will be costs involved that are inevitable if you wish to keep a product going in a competitive market. IT REALLY SUCKS THAT YOU ARE MAKING THE CHOICE TO PASS THESE COSTS ALONG TO THE CUSTOMER WHEN COUNTLESS OTHER SOFTWARE COMPANIES ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND THAT DOING SO IS NOT PRACTICAL. We, your many valued customers, do very much get that you’re not Apple, but you are far from an indy development team, powered on sweat & coffee alone, struggling to ‘make it’ in a basement somewhere either!

THE RESULT IS THAT UNLESS STEINBERG CHANGES COURSE NOW, THEY WILL LOSE EXISTING LOYAL CUBASIS CUSTOMERS.

The good news, for everybody, is that this could still be fixed, if Steinberg actually sees the massive errors when calculating the value in this move. Therefore, the question is:

Will they be bold enough to actually fix it?

Cheers,

~ Jay
@SuperFlyEDSguy
Sunday, December 22, 2019

Full Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion on this matter. I am in no way being endorsed or compensated to offer said opinion. I am a current owner of Steinberg Cubasis 2 with all IAPs. I also own many other iOS DAWs, to include Auria Pro, NanoStudio 2, Korg Gadget 2, BeatMaker 2 & BeatMaker 3, Audio Evolution Mobile Studio, Apple GarageBand, Looptical, and Tabletop by Retronyms. I have experience with other software, both mobile, and Mac/PC-based. Furthermore, I am currently disabled, and could not profit in any manner from opinions offered. With over two decades of experience in software engineering, I know how to code in many languages, however aside from music production, and advocacy being the primary ways that I pass-the-time, I have taken a keen interest in learning Swift to develop apps for iOS with a “modern language”.

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @MobileMusicPro said:
Unbelievably excited about this app!
I certainly was too... until I saw that I had to pay full price even though I already own Cubasis 2!

Cubasis has become my all around favorite DAW in iOS, and for some time now, I truly hoped that a universal version of the app would be coming. Contrary to the propaganda that Steinberg has recently been putting out, a “rewrite” frankly does not make it a “new app” altogether, rather it ensures that an app written on a “legacy” code-base could still be marketed as a competitive and viable product, instead of removing the app from the iOS App Store, or worse, letting it become stale on the App Store with no more updates to it.

This is truly a bad business decision to a software engineering problem. Apps are generally built with modern development tools and APIs, but over time, those tools become less powerful, APIs may be abandoned, and changes in the languages that were originally used to create the app could result in entire pieces of the app becoming antiquated, unless an overhaul, e.g. “rewrite”, is performed. There are many other factors to consider, but would be out of the scope of this short discussion. Therefore, the developer has a choice to either kill the app, or to make some major changes to it so that it doesn’t end up in the “app graveyard”.

As a general rule in the software business, an upgrade should never be sold at full price. This is primarily to show some respect to the customers who have been loyal to your brand, because the customers that once paid full price did after-all fund the development ensuring that it did make it to the current iteration in the app’s life cycle.

Personally, as someone who’s worked in just about every area of the information technology industry, including software development, product management, product marketing, and even executive roles, I know the inner-workings of a software company well enough to say that they are simply trying to profit on existing customers over a run-of-the-mill “cost of doing business”. Think about it, it is very rare for an upgrade to ever be sold at full price! They could call it what they like, and try to spin it like a politician, but an apple is an apple, never an orange. That undeniably goes against the very laws of nature.

Now, as a paying customer, including one who has purchased all of the Cubasis 2 IAPs, I am personally very disappointed because I think that the Steinberg name is simply synonymous with quality, and if Cubasis 3 was even offered at a marginal upgrade price, I would have no hesitation whatsoever to upgrade the product, and enjoy the many new features. Regardless of the spin, this is anything but normal and customary in regards to how the new version was rolled out.

Finally, the fact that we are speaking of the Steinberg name, one who is legendary in the music software community, makes it all the more of a disappointment. I most certainly get that Steinberg, like any other company, are in business to make a profit, but they are by no means a struggling indy development company, and I cannot feel sorry for this blatant act of price gouging. Period.

I certainly hope that you’re enjoying the upgrade if you purchased it. I am going to have to go with my best instincts, and wait to see if Steinberg has a change of heart in the name of all the customers who have been loyal to the brand for a very many years, and just perhaps, I too will enjoy Cubasis 3 in the not too distant future!

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @Plø said:
Still no MPE support and also no Ableton Link. :-(

A lack of MPE-support does not surprise me in the slightest as it’s still sort of “new-ish”, and probably would be an afterthought for a “mobile” DAW anyway, however I am very much surprised if Ableton Link is missing considering not only the traction that it’s already gained in other iOS apps, but the fact that it should also be a fairly easy and straightforward implementation for a developer to include in the production release of a major upgrade!

Now, if MPE was missing on a major upgrade release of a “desktop” flavored DAW, that would totally surprise me.

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @jimhanks said:

I couldn’t agree more!!!

Please see my post on this thread entitled “ STEINBERG CUBASIS 3 — AN OPEN LETTER”, something tells me that you’ll enjoy it ;)

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @europeansocialism said:
Literally, EVERYBODY & THEIR UNCLE offers upgrade discounts, and it is VERY RARE for a respectable developer to NOT offer even a little something as recognition of customer loyalty!!!

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @eVr said:
Waiting for the Tempo Track possibility.
It seems that here we still not having Tempo Track.
But it would be great to have it in Cubasis too, or in any other DAW
I’m a huge fan of Auria Pro as I own it along with Cubasis 2, and a few other iOS DAWs. I only prefer Cubasis over Auria Pro for the simplified workflow, and find Cubasis less “buggy” overall, otherwise in regards to features alone, Auria Pro is king!

Doesn’t NanoStudio 2 have a tempo track? I could have swore that I’ve seen both, a tempo track, and a time signature track, not too long ago when I was working on a project in it. I recall hearing an audible “pop” when changing both track’s values at the same time!!

One more thing... Do you know if the folks over at WaveMachine Labs have anything in the works to make Auria Pro a Universal App? It’s been a while since I’ve checked the forums over there. Please let me know if you’ve seen, or heard anything :)

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
On December 18, 2019 - @Chris Strobel said:

+1,000

This sounds so damn familiar! LOL :)

BTW, have you ever had any issues with NanoStudio 2 when changing the values of both the tempo track and the time signature track at the very same point? I was working on a project about a month or so ago, and heard what I could best describe as an audible “pop” or “skip” when changing both track’s values at the very same point in the song. Oddly enough, I was working on a cover of a Yanni song, which I find a lot of classical inspiration to when analyzing the technical side of his compositions.

On that note, once NanoStudio 2 gets the ability to work with mono & stereo audio tracks, I think it will be a no-brainer to make it my iOS DAW of choice. Other than it sometimes not playing nice with the presets of some AUv3 instruments, it is a totally “top shelf” mobile DAW, not to mention already even being a Universal App! Interestingly enough, I read that the problem that I just mentioned regarding the AUv3 instrument presets is NOT actually a bug in NanoStudio 2, but rather one with the implementation in the audio unit’s themselves! Good to know!

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
@SuperFlyED

I am one of those « stupid » Cubasis 2 owner customer who bought Cubasis 3 at full price. I am really surprised by your open letter that is in my opinion missing some important points. First, I am also the owner of Auria, BM3, NS2, (not so)Zenbeats, etc, etc. None of these app are as reliable as Cubasis. And there is a good reason for this. Steinberg put the effort to make it good and yes, they have to pay some people to do that. You certainly know that the iOS business model is not very sustainable for developers and that they have to find a way to keep their products alive. We are now in a maturing domain and it is the end of the « all for nothing » period. I am very happy I paid this price for this app because I know that I will have a solid and evolving tool I will be able to use to the years to come
December 22, 2019  | person_outline Hubbert
On December 22, 2019 - @Hubbert said:
@SuperFlyED

@Hubbert,

Please understand that it is of my opinion that the Cubasis user-base is most definitely NOT “stupid” (I am one of them), however I firmly believe that the business operations, as well as development team(s) at Steinberg, do believe that they can patronize us, the end users, by feeding us spin, and thinking that we as a whole would easily feed into their blatant misdirection. Secondly, as I know that we do have some very intelligent end users in our community, most will continue to show Steinberg that we are not a dull group that could be taken lightly, and spoken to in highly unbusinesslike terms on their official company blog. That alone is bad business. Never make your customers feel bad.

I wrote a rather lengthy piece that was primarily directed at specific stakeholders at Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, and yes, certain items were not expounded upon for the sake of brevity alone, and I will address the points in your reply, but urge you to ask any additional questions that I may be able to clarify based on my communication, and comments are always welcome. An open letter always deserves an equally open discussion in an open forum, one where people may voice their opinions for or against any topic they may choose.

Regarding the plethora of apps that we both own other than Cubasis, I did state in my open letter that “Frankly, there are many great DAWs selling on the iOS App Store, one’s that are also high quality, with some of those options being FAR LESS EXPENSIVE, and others being EVEN MORE POWERFUL in some key areas. Though NanoStudio 2 came close to “nailing it” as a universal iOS DAW, it comes short by lacking mono & stereo audio tracks, something that Cubasis has always provided, something that I have been waiting for on my iPhone.“ Furthermore, I made it a point to mention some very specific praises for the folks at Steinberg, to include that “no one could argue that Steinberg is synonymous with quality”, and even that ”the bottom line is that Steinberg, who I really do recognize as a great name in the industry”, so, yes, we are on the same page when it comes to how legendary Steinberg is in both our industry, and community.

There are many published opinions regarding which is the best DAW in iOS, and aside from Cubasis, a large portion of the groups surveyed did answer Auria Pro, NanoStudio 2, etc. A DAW is a very personal choice, one DAW may be likened to “gold” by one producer, yet another engineer may liken the very same DAW to “trash”, and it’s not just in this market or industry, you really see the differing opinions in just about every field of occupation when it comes to the core tools of the trade. Now, we both agree on the quality of Cubasis, and I myself, and many other dedicated users that have had their expectations exceeded with Cubasis 2 alone would not have taken the time to put their thoughts into writing if we did not feel truly upset about the way Cubasis 3 was released, or even more importantly feeling dissuaded from purchasing Cubasis 3 for any one, or many of the reasons that I’ve already said.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the “iOS Business Model”, but Steinberg sells way more desktop software, hardware, and the like, making their share of iOS revenue minimal at best. Every one of these cost centers should be supporting the entire business, and sometimes more money has to be allocated from the yearly budget to bring a specific department’s project into fruition. As a whole, Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH is making money “hand over fist” when factoring in all of their cost centers. Most software companies, especially those making the majority of their money from outside mobile technology, yet do sell mobile software solutions, do customarily provide loyalty discounts to their existing user base as they can very much afford to while still showing tremendous returns on their Profit & Loss Statements. The “iOS Business Model” apples to a giant like Steinberg just about as much as the “Burger King Business Model” would apply to a Michelin 3-star rated restaurant!!! Period.

I also made a similar point above, comparing Steinberg to a struggling indy development company, the kind of business that may also produce “world class” software, yet doesn’t know if they will even make rent for their basement office on any given month. See, these indy developers, cannot account for “the cost of doing business”, at least until they’ve grown enough financially, and could then “play to win with the big boys” as the levels of status & success are completely relative to the gross profit that could be shown on the first page of a financial report. My issue is that an established giant does have the knowledge of “the cost of doing business”, and that it could be included in the product plans, and budgets, even several years down the road. I am in no way disagreeing that Steinberg is a “for profit” business, that has to make money, if only to keep their shareholders happy, but believe via my 20+ years of relevant experience, that their developers are compensated very handsomely, and have been for the 6-years that Cubasis has been in the iOS App Store up until this upgrade goes into production. Could anyone really believe that they are not being paid for numerous years of development work while Cubasis 3 is being actively developed?! Considering the general “iOS Business Model”, that as I’ve pointed out most definitely doesn’t apply to them, nothing is going to change fiscally by offering loyal customers a simple discount, however it will be a bitch to handle the potential negative PR otherwise.

I am not asking for a free upgrade, though that would be just wunderbar, and I don’t think many of the current Cubasis 2 users are asking for a freebie either. What we are asking for is a little bit of respect, which is customarily given across the board in this industry with a special “upgrade price”. I also think that Steinberg has to immediately lighten the tone on their blog, as they seem to be making very unprofessional statements in an official corporate capacity. They must also realize that not all of their customers are European, as folks from the USA don’t have the same level of “thick skin” that we see with our friends in most of Europe. Us folks in the USA, do get offended easier, that’s a fact.

Finally, I am very certain that I will just adore Cubasis 3 when I finally end up using it, whenever that may be. You’re 100% right that it’s a solid product, by a solid team. Let’s just remember how important customer loyalty is, especially in the global business market, where iOS apps simply come & go, and are only ancillary to those “desktop” software titles that generate the “real revenue”, or the hardware that makes the kind of substantial “killing” in the likes a mobile app-based product would never see. Again, if we were speaking of a struggling group of indy developers with no name, budget, or funding, that’s one thing, but a global enterprise that happens to be an industry icon, and trendsetter. The later could do whatever they please to try to increase their profit margin, but when you do it in an untraditional way, while belittling loyal paying customers that would gladly purchase anything at an ”upgrade price” in lieu of a “banquet of bullshit”, well, that’s just hurtful. Hurtful to us, the loyal customers that love your product, but more importantly hurtful to your bottom line, and reputation as a global company, and over what? A virtual loss-leader?

I hope that this has cleared up my thoughts, or rather the collective of thoughts by those customers who feel just as I do, that I easily found all over the web. Just Google for quotes, and you will find them.

One last thought, as I do not feel right supporting Steinberg at the full price, yet really wanting to get my hands on the product, if you still believe that they are not doing you a disservice, I would have no objection if you would like to be generous enough to buy an additional copy for yours truly. I would be forever grateful :)

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 22, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
Things got pretty contentious in here over the weekend. Everyone gets bonus points for keeping it civil!
On December 23, 2019 - @Tim Webb said:

Actually, Thank You @Tim for giving us a forum where we truly feel welcome to be open to discuss our thoughts amongst likeminded individuals!!!

I don’t think the members, including myself, could give you enough bonus points for keeping this awesome space open & properly maintained… +1,000

Cheers,

~ Jay

December 23, 2019  | person SuperFlyEDSguy
You're most welcome!
Hello all,
don't forget that, as all new app, it's buggy too:
- you can't open any Cubasis2 project in Cubasis3 without app violently close. You must previously open an empty Cubasis 3 project
- paste have sometimes curious habit when copy/paste multiple Audio Sample from multiple tracks. It apply a sort of track offset, eg the audio from track 1 to 4 goes to 3 to 6, and can't be realign. You must then undo /re-paste and hope...
- sometimes you cant no more close the tempo panel. You must close and reopen the app.
Bought yesterday and used two hours.
Finally it seems that i've paid for the iphone version developpement. I expected better performances on my old ipad air2.
December 26, 2019  | person_outline xine78

Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old articles. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft