« Xequence Update | App News | Dolby 234 - Leaked Details of New Dolby App »

Korg Gadget 2 Coming in February

Korg has just announced that Korg Gadget 2 will be arriving in February for iOS, macOS, and now Windows!

This will be a free update on iOS, and as a paid upgrade on macOS. With the paid upgrade you get the six new gadgets:

- Memphis (Semi-Modular Analogue Synthesizer)
- Pompei (6Voices Analogue Synthesizer)
- Taipei (MIDI-Out Control Module)
- Durban (Bass Effect Processor)
- Two more new gadgets coming soon

Memphis appears to be a Gadgetized version of iMS-20, while Pompei looks like iPolysix! All of these Gadgets will be available as IAPs on iOS.

Clarification: Reader Laarz pointed out in the comments here that I'm probably misinterpreting the Windows news from Korg's page. There's all these fucking asterisks all over everything they say, and I think I missed a step. It seems like they're saying that there will be no standalone Gadget on Windows, only the plugins.

Reader Comments 16

“In addition to bringing Gadget to Windows, the announcement mentions that the individual Gadgets will now be usable as plugins on desktop... but that's going to be a separate purchase. It explicitly states that these plugins are not part of the standalone package.”

I read this differently on Korg’s site. On the KORG Gagdet 2 Plugins package for PC/Mac there will be no standalone, only the plugins. This is the only PC offering so there is no standalone on PC at all and an option to get the just the plugins on Mac. Those asterisks are confusing.

Tim, did you see images of the new iMS 20 and iPolysix gadgets?
January 18, 2019  | favorite_border Laarz
I bought 6 years ago the Korg iPolysix and received last update 3 years ago. If Pompei is going to be an iPolysix, will they revive their old baby? If so that would be great news
The iMS-20 has also not been updated in last 3 years, but it’s still sold for €32,99.
January 18, 2019  | person Marcel
On January 18, 2019 - @Laarz said:

I agree that the asterisks are confusing, but I think your interpretation is confusing it more so! ;)

From Korg's Site:

KORG Gadget 2 Lineup
- KORG Gadget 2 for iOS *1
- KORG Gadget 2 for Mac *2
- KORG Gadget 2 Plugins for Mac/PC *3

*3 The standalone version is not included. Only the Mac/PC plugins are included in this package.
Oh shit, you're right... Wow that is a mess. Goddamn it. I'll post a clarification. Thanks for pointing this out!

Tim, did you see images of the new iMS 20 and iPolysix gadgets?
Only tiny ones. MATRIXSYNTH has them posted:
Pffff..... They know where their money is. And at the same time Korg force you into their little eco-system. To be honest, they're no different from Apple. Make us some AUv3's Korg, with the apps we purchased ages ago- like iMS20 and get with the iOS community instead of continually rehashing stuff already done and thus ripping us off. Not impressed.
On January 18, 2019 - @tom_tm said:

Exactly. Open up Gadget to AUv3 plugins and make all gadgets Auv3 as well. Then you are allowed to call it version 2.
January 18, 2019  | favorite_border Erik
The new Midi out gadget + AUM will make Gadget 2 my go to for writing stuff fast. No midi out was always what held it back from being what it can be.
January 18, 2019  | person_outline Datruth
You all might as well stop asking for Auv3. It's never coming to Gadget. Simple rule... the bigger the corporation is, the less they are interested in the wants of the little people.

I once created a fake Korg announcement graphic with the banner "AUV3 is coming to Korg iOS synths!" and posted it on Korg's twitter.

Gadget will forever be a closed-system. The FX on gadget are really limited when you compare to the wealth of advanced AU FX we can use with any other DAW.
"You all might as well stop asking for Auv3."

Exactly. Why would Korg put Auv3 in Gadget?

Gadget is a closed system to make music in, and they make money and keep the project afloat by selling you new Gadgets. Fair enough.

They want you to buy new Gadgets and not bring in other apps that they get no money from.

I would love them to add Auv3 to Gadget, but I don't really expect them to do that as it will damage their business model. And in their position I would do the same.

If you want Auv3 put your tracks together in Cuebasis.
January 18, 2019  | person_outline Simon
How come version 2?
I’m running Gadget version 3.7.2
January 18, 2019  | person Marcel
January 18, 2019  | person_outline Mark
On January 18, 2019 - @Marcel said:
How come version 2?
I’m running Gadget version 3.7.2
My thoughts exactly. "GADGET 4.0" Would be less confusing. Maybe there are a lot under the hood changes, which might have been necessary to get midi out. Still nice to get the update free.
I hope imonopoly user presets now load in milpitas.
I think the 2 unannounced gadgets will be the ones announced for Nintendo Switch: a sega drum gadget called Otirii and an arcade cabinet based Ebina (https://www.korg.com/us/news/2018/1109/?contents=error). Korg gadget for switch will probably be updated too, but without the "two".
January 19, 2019  | person Okeribok
Windows, that’d be awesome! A paid update for Mac beings they already paid what 200$ ? That’d kinda seem like it should be the other way around with iOS paying.
January 19, 2019  | person_outline Ian
Regarding auv3 ,I would like auv3as a standard but Korg’s closed little ecosystem happens to be powerful as they get and is famous for its fluid workflow that streamlines song production. I don’t want it made into ableton, I have a pc setup with all the major daws, it sits there while the magic all happens in simple environments i have control over,too much shit can cripple an app, gadget is what it is because it is what it is!
January 19, 2019  | person_outline Ian
Mark wrote:
" On iOS they could make the all the gadgets within gadget available as auv3. They wouldn’t lose money as you would have to buy gadget to use them. They just don’t seem to want to. "

I suspect they don't want you to use a Gadget inside Cuebasis, where you can also buy and use other developer's apps. They don't want you to use Cuebasis or another DAW - they want you to stay inside Gadget where you are likely to buy more Gadget IAPs.
January 19, 2019  | person_outline Simon
On January 19, 2019 - @Ian said:
Korg’s closed little ecosystem happens to be powerful as they get!
I agree, despite it’s limitations, Gadget has never crashed for me nor had audio glitches on mixdown. I can load many more gadgets than I can AUv3’s on other DAWs. Introducing AUv3 might lead to compatibility and stability issues which they probably don’t want tackle. The midi out might be their compromise here, however we will see how they will handle mixdown with an external app, maybe allow audio in into the same gadget or with Zurich.

However it would be nice if there is a crossgrade for those who already bought iMS20 or iPolysix for those gadgets which appear to be based on those synths. And midi out would be nicer as an included part of the update rather than an IAP. Other than more IAPs I am not seeing too much of anything substatial being offered on iOS for the update. Maybe they will correct their finicky and fiddly interfaces. But I definitely feel KORG could be more generous here than what it appears.
January 19, 2019  | favorite_border Laarz
On January 19, 2019 - @Laarz said:

I agree. Gadget is somewhat limited on certain aspects. Notably the included fx available per track is not as rich as some includd in certain instruments (why ?), and sure it would be great to run an external AUM AUV3 IAP etc fx, but nevertheless, it is possible to make great things with Gadget, it is fast, its GUI well suited to my little iPhone SE and this is why I use it so much.
January 21, 2019  | person ERixoff

Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old articles. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft