Developer BlipInteractive has finally set a release date for NanoStudio 2! The original NanoStudio was essential in the early days of music apps on iOS. It was so powerful and easy to use that it is still fondly regarded 8 years later. The modern follow-up has been anxiously awaited for the last 4 of those years.
You can pre-order NanoStudio 2 today for $30, and it will be arriving in the App Store on Friday!
Reader tom_tm provided some additional information that the initial version of NanoStudio 2 will only work on devices down to iPad Air 1, due to unspecified Apple nonsense. They will continue to work on it to provide the iPad 4 support that was promised. iPhone support is expected in 2019. Given that NanoStudio 2 was initially slated for a 2015 release date, I feel these expectations should not be held very tightly.
Here's a little preview of NanoStudio 2, coming to iPad very soon. Click or tap on 'SHOW MORE' below for a more detailed description of the app's features and what's in store for the future.
NanoStudio 2 is a powerful music production environment for recording, synthesis, sampling, arranging, editing and mixing. It’s the successor to the original NanoStudio, an app held in high regard by musicians for many years for its usability, quality and productivity.
With six years development behind it, NanoStudio 2 builds upon the same design principles that made its predecessor so popular and then takes a quantum leap with a massive range of extra features and a new audio engine delivering truly professional sound quality. Everything is optimized for CPU efficiency, so complex projects with many instruments and effects are handled with ease.
This is a complete in-the-box solution to production, enabling you to develop your initial musical ideas right through to a final master with an intuitive workflow carefully designed to get things done.
NanoStudio 2 is a fully featured host for external Audio Unit (AUv3) instruments and audio/MIDI effects. A library of all your AU instruments and presets is maintained so they’re in one place – tagged, searchable and just as accessible as NanoStudio’s own internal instruments.
For composing and arranging there are powerful fully featured editors for songs, MIDI parts, automation and samples. All editors share a clean and consistent user interface which means you’ll be up to speed with them in no time.
• Fully fledged song editor with tempo and time signature tracks, arbitrary track grouping/nesting, track lanes and no limit on the number of tracks in the song
• MIDI and automation editors
• A sample editor capable of efficiently handling audio files up to 2 hours long
• A mixer which also supports track grouping and nesting, unlimited insert effects, configurable audio and MIDI sends and pro-style latency compensation
• 11 built-in quality effects including reverb, sidechain compressor/expander, EQ with spectrum analysis, look-ahead limiter, delay, exciter, chorus, flanger and phaser.
• AUv3 audio or MIDI effects can be used in effect chains, just like internal effects
• Mixdowns up to 32 bit/96kHz and export file formats including wav, aiff, ogg and M4A
• Support for mixing down track stems in a single operation and/or just a region of the song
• Ableton Link support
• Sharing with the iOS Files app, Dropbox, AudioShare, iTunes File Sharing, AirDrop, email, and song import from your iTunes music library
• Built-in WebDAV server for full control and backup of your files
• 8 In-app purchase sound packs including multisampled acoustic instruments
• 3 oscillator 16 note polyphonic synth with stereo voices
• Each oscillator can use 7 different types of synthesis: Analogue, Wavetable, Phase Distortion, FM, Multi-Saw, Shaped Noise or Multisampled Zones
• An innovative spectral loop mode for samples
• 18 filter types including resonant analogue, clean digital, comb and formant
• Modulation provided by 5 envelopes, 5 LFOs and 10 macro controllers
• Effects chain with a reverb, delay and chorus/flanger/phaser
• 300+ Factory patches
Slate (advanced drum sampler):
• 32 pads with 4 internal effects busses and a final master output bus with limiter
• Each pad can use up to 3 split or layered samples and has its own filter, waveshaper, envelopes and voice grouping options
• 500+ factory samples ranging from multisampled acoustic drums through to cutting-edge electronic percussion and effects, arranged into 50 kits
Plans for 2019:
• Universal version (to add support for iPhone)
• Improved utilization of the iPad Pro's larger display
• A super-efficient convolution reverb
• Linear audio tracks in the song editor