« PhaseThree by Audio Damage, Inc. | App News | haQ attaQ: This is how much USB Power an iPad can handle! »

Autony by Abigail Macfarlane

Abigail Macfarlane released Autony, an AUv3 MIDI sequencer inspired by Brian Eno's philosophy of having unreliability introduced into his equipment. To that end, Autony has a Reliability knob that can affect its playback. This, and all of the other controls, can be modulated via MIDI automation.

Autony iTunes Description:

AUv3 Midi sequence generator which generates musical evolving sequences that you can further automate or modulate via midi.

A clever algorithm creates a musical sequence which is output as a midi signal which can be used to drive a software synthesiser or a hardware device. Various settings allow the sequence to be constrained to scales and chords, transposed on the fly and also allowed to gently mutate giving an evolving sequence.

All the controls can be modulated or automated via midi.

Needs a AU host like AUM and generates no sound on its own.

"My solution has been to make the equipment unreliable in various ways." - Brian Eno

There is a short official promo, but The Sound Test Room has already posted a helpful demo!

Reader Comments 14

Immediately thought of Rozeta. Nice to notice that Abigail was also thinking of Bram’s awesome AU MIDI plugin suite.
It’s funny how the iOS musicking scene is expanding, these days. It may not sound like a revolution on a day-to-day basis but it does quickly add up to a major change in the ways people can play with music on Apple’s mobile devices.
Just sad that Apple doesn’t make it easier for devs to come out with AUv3 plugins.
November 16, 2018  | favorite_border Enkerli
I can't find this on the app store? Am I tripping?> thanks it looks amazing
November 16, 2018  | person Oceans in space
On November 16, 2018 - @Oceans in space said:
I can't find this on the app store? Am I tripping?> thanks it looks amazing

I think you're tripping. It is there for me on the US iTunes.
Digging back into the archives a bit. I'm teaching a digital music class and am about to do a unit on generative processes. Looks like Abigail MacFarlane of pagefall ltd has three AUv3 apps worth looking at.

What are the iOS biggies for generative MIDI?
On April 11, 2021 - @stub said:

What are the iOS biggies for generative MIDI?

Wotja should serve the purpose right, you can program a whole tune in it (but have to dig up it a bit first )
On April 11, 2021 - @eVr said:

Thanks, @eVr
On April 11, 2021 - @stub said:

What are the iOS biggies for generative MIDI?

Wotja is a beast indeed...
I'm gonna give Cykle a vote for a friendlier solution :-P
Wouldn't consider it on the generative side, but has randomizers and every parameter can have a different number of steps
On April 12, 2021 - @senhorlampada said:

Wotja is a beast indeed...
I'm gonna give Cykle a vote for a friendlier solution :-P

Yea, Wotja seemed beastly, and intriguing, but I'm not sure if it would get me where I want to go. Still it seems like it goes to cool places. I'll check out Cykle. Thanks!
On April 12, 2021 - @stub said:

Oh... how could I forget? Rozeta from Bram Bos is THE playground for generative. Loads of options there. Physicles, which is free. Of the older apps, Nodebeat and Musyc (guess they are IAA and not AU).
On April 13, 2021 - @senhorlampada said:

(scribbling wildy) "wait! slow down!... N. o. d. e. b. e......"

Thanks for all these suggestions!

I am checking them ALL out. Generators are really interesting. I need to get my head around both the meta concepts, as well as the balance of "Here's-what-you-control" vs "Here's-what-the-generator-does-with-it".

My work computer has logic on it, and there's a MIDI plugin that allows "scripts" to be loaded. My brain is hunched over panting, winded, "can't even... Too much to learn! ... must... try..."
On April 13, 2021 - @stub said:

(scribbling wildy) "wait! slow down!... N. o. d. e. b. e......"

Thanks for all these suggestions!

😅😅😅

Oh... now that you mention scripts... Have you ever messed with SonicPi? Its available for raspberry, Windows, Linux and MacOs. People user for live coding music and song experiments. Can be something interesting for them to dabble
I think my class would mutiny if I got any more into the weeds than I already am.
On April 13, 2021 - @stub said:

lol 😂
And there would be that one student that would love it too much and even go beyond
It is true. There are actually a couple kids in there who are operating at a pretty intense level. One kid's assignments are absolutely fascinating.

Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old articles. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.

Contact | Privacy Policy | Developer Services | Advertise
discchord.com is a service of Gnubesoft