« David Hicken - Indriel (Piano Solo) | App News | Zario by Ricardo Nazario »

Summer Solstice App Sales!

Happy Summer Solstice! Classic app Epic Synth is having its first sale since 2012, following an update that adds Audiobus 3 and 64-bit support. Epic is joined by Olympia Noise Co.'s Ribbons, the app formerly known as Ondes. XME's Pocket Studio is free today, along with several other deals!

As a music blogger I'm expected to maintain my hipster cred from time to time, by casually dropping hints about music you've never heard of. One of my favorite new albums you've never heard of comes from Highly Suspect, a Post-Emo band I liked before they were cool.

As someone who hated Emo, I was immediately intrigued by late-2016's The Boy Who Died Wolf. On the album you'll find some Emo trappings, like narcissism and questionable neck tattoos, but this is combined with a very mature and modern take on Blues. All of these factors, and even more questionable face tattoos, can be experienced in this video for Serotonia which also includes some stunningly deep lyrics.

Reader Comments 17

How the hell did you know I've never heard this guys music before? I didn't... but I loved this music and video. I don't even know what the fuck an EMO is. I hope that his crazy look isn't fake and he really is disturbed so the music and words are legit.
Sorry for the shity english, but I guess you can see where am I from. (Tim)
June 20, 2017  | person_outline AshLand
Damn I must admit I like this music as well. Thanks for the hint!
What an unfortunate genre/fad. It was apparently named for SunnyDay Real Estate (fantastic band and music, even with the sudden change in style between breaks). I'm not sure why sincere and deeply emotional lyrics and expression needs to have a genre and a specific sound, but that (not narcissism and tattoos) seems to be the strongest delineation between this and other official genres. Frankly, i hate genres. I get the need to classify things, and i surely participate, but music genres have gotten to the point where they've defeated the purpose.
June 20, 2017  | person dysamoria
As for this song... yeah... the tattoos... and the first line put me right off. Oh well.
June 20, 2017  | person dysamoria
waited 4 years for the epic synth sale :) haha
June 20, 2017  | person_outline pn
I had their first demo when they were called Slightly Suspect. Was pretty cool.

Then I heard some guy on the other side of the world had a copy as well, so I dropped em and moved on.

2hip4u
June 20, 2017  | person Bob
Yes, the first few lines are highly suspect. But as soon as the tasteful blues kicked in it, I was sold. Thanks for sharing, Tim! Be careful about chasing for bands that no one has heard of. I once fell in with a bad crowd of hipsters that knew everything. To preserve my fragile ego I had to go deeper and deeper and find newer artists. I hit rock bottom 2 years ago. Now I just listen to recordings of 4 year olds playing the recorder. The album won't drop for 20 years but, as long as he can stay clean and sober and stop eating crayons, Little Jim "Jammy Hands" will be a legend.
June 20, 2017  | person DulceVida
On June 20, 2017 - @dysamoria said:
I've been amused by genres since the early 90's when I heard Primus - Mr. Krinkle:

There's a memorable line in there:
Hey ho Mr. Krinkle have you heard the brand new sound
It's a cross between Jimi Hendrix
Bocephus, Cher and James Brown
It's called, "Heavy Hometown New Wave, cold-filtered, low-calorie dry"

I take my musicology pretty seriously. I listen to everything from the 40's to today. A big part of that is understanding genre as a relationship. I don't care about it as a label. I often disagree with the labels people apply to music, and I always disagree with dismissing music because of the label. But when you look at genre as a kind of family-tree it can enhance the appreciation when you hear the connections. My appreciation for Nine Inch Nails grew 10-fold by the time I finished listening to all of the "Industrial" music that came out of the 70's.

So I like genres in that context. I enjoy the challenge in trying to come up with an informative genre name. I think Post-Emo here is one of my better ones; in terms of informing expectations. Like DnB became post-DnB before becoming DubStep. I think we're seeing an interesting evolution from Emo to some kind of wild new contemporary Blues. Whether or not that evolutionary trait takes hold as a successful species is something we'll have to wait and see, but for now we can enjoy witnessing the first steps of a new species.
On June 20, 2017 - @pn said:
waited 4 years for the epic synth sale :) haha

epic wait!
June 20, 2017  | person_outline pn
I love Chinese music. Most everyone thinks it's funny when they hear it on my car stereo because no one listens to it in my part of the world, not even American born Chinese much. I don't know if this makes me a hipster, because about a sixth of the population probably hear it regularly, but I'm considered different for playing it. I just like it.

I'm with you Tim, I like to track the evolution of music. Really recorded American music. I also love the crooners of the twenties. That was a revolution in singing styles that is still felt today.

There is always something new to be found, in the past, around the world, and upcoming.
June 20, 2017  | person Laarz
On June 20, 2017 - @Laarz said:
Exactly. I listen to music and see all the connections between, and across, all of the influences that led to its ultimate creation. This is pretty lame as super powers go, but it does increase my enjoyment of the music!
Some great posts here, both serious and silly.

From everything I've come to understand about "industrial", Nine Inch Nails isn't. i can see why people make the association, though. NIN is also my absolute favorite "band" of all time. Trent Reznor's influences are in my own work. The things that influenced him are totally different from my own personal tastes, but it formed his tastes and his productions are to my liking. Therefore, the stuff he likes that i don't like was still very important in forming the stuff i do like.

If that made any sense at all. I've spent way too much time blabbing on the internet today. I need a real human being to interact with, sheesh.
June 21, 2017  | person dysamoria
pm wrote:
"waited 4 years for the epic synth sale "

You saved a whole dolar!! wow! :-)
June 21, 2017  | person_outline Simon
On June 21, 2017 - @Simon said:
pm wrote:
"waited 4 years for the epic synth sale "

You saved a whole dolar!! wow! :-)

winning! ;)
June 21, 2017  | person_outline pn
still kicking myself for missing the Auria sale...
June 21, 2017  | person Trilobyte
Does Epic Synth have a patch / bank restore function ?
I can see only backup buttons on the GUI !

Also LFO MIDI clock > rate synchronisation and LFO delay would be nice.
June 21, 2017  | person_outline Mikem
On June 20, 2017 - @AshLand said:
Sorry for the shity english, but I guess you can see where am I from. (Tim)

Scotland?
June 21, 2017  | person_outline Kühl

Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old articles. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.