ImproVox developer MuseAmi has released MusicPal, a free Universal iOS app that will play any sheet music you take a picture of with your iOS device's camera.
Learn Music: MusicPal iTunes Description:
Snap a photo of sheet music and MusicPal will play it for you! Listen note by note, loop phrases, even isolate the treble or bass clef. Contribute to our effort to read the world’s music; every photo you take and tile-matching game you play will improve MusicPal’s accuracy.
- Take a picture of a page of music and MusicPal will process the photo, enabling you to hear what you see.
- Press play to hear and follow along with the music.
- Tap to hear any note or chord.
- Tap and drag to listen to a selection.
- Pinch to zoom in and out.
- Change playback tempo and transposition level.
- Tap music clefs to mute and unmute staves: hear the right hand part while playing the left hand part, and vice versa.
- Use the toolbar buttons to loop a passage, or go note by note.
- Supports only keyboard music (two staves) and monophonic instrumental music (one staff).
- Play our tile-matching games to help train MusicPal to read music more accurately.
Successful results depend on the quality, completeness, and simplicity of the musical score image. MusicPal is designed to take pictures of conventional Western sheet music notation that is printed on paper. MusicPal will not properly photograph guitar tab, handwritten music, vocal music with lyrics, music with specialized notations, or sheet music displayed on laptop and mobile screens.