Amy Lee, aka ANI, has been featured here 11 times for her music with iOS apps. Today she has released her own app! sBASSdrum, pronounced space-drum, is an impressive first app for anyone, but it is especially welcomed to see this come from a long-time community member.
sBASSdrum iTunes Description:
The amazing sBASSdrum drum machine and synthesizer let's you blast off to new sonic realms with your iPad! Instantly add DJ-style filter/resonance effects, loop your performance, and keep it looping in the background to play another app's audio over it.
Designed for novices with super-simple operation: play both drums and music with just two thumbs! Or team up with a friend and each person can play a different side of the screen. Perfect for kids or kids at heart!
It's A Drum Machine
- 6 special drums pads can play more than one sound
- Optimized workflow for 1-finger operation
- No lag switching between kits
It's A Synthesizer
- Instantly make harmony without knowing piano or music!
- Hand-crafted patches great for dance, pop, and jazz styles
- Super easy interface splits bass, melody, and accent keys
- Based on a rich sample library
It's A Looper
- Punch Record to create a loop, Play to begin immediate looping
- Add any amount of overdubs you want!
- Leave it running while switching to another app to have a background beat!
It's Got Effects
- A single X/Y control pad gives you quick access to built in low-pass and high-pass filter effects
- Do DJ-style filter sweeps and resonance overdriving
And It's A Spaceship
- Seriously. It's a spaceship. That's a music instrument.
- Did we mention it's a spaceship?
You'll never need to know that under the cute exterior beats the heart of a custom-built event-based multitimbral sampler engine capable of playing hundreds of samples at once on an optimized floating-point audio pipeline. As avid musicians, coders, and designers, we would want no less than a pro-spec system ourselves. This app is just the beginning...
Notes: AudioBus and Inter-App Audio not supported (yet!). On-screen only, no MIDI input (yet!).
Enjoy your trip to outersbass!
I got a preview of this last week and had fun with it. It's a lot more polished than most people's first apps, but not as fully fleshed out as one might hope. It's free though until Valentine's Day, so there's that! If you've seen any of Amy's performances you'll know she's a looper, and that's exactly how she's designed this app. You loop up the drums, and then you have an independent section of sampled synths and other instruments to add to the looping.
Amy is also the first person to ever write up their whole app press release in Limerick form, complete with date-line, as required by my Style Guide. Usually I just get a single stanza and then the typical boring PR. I won't embarrass her by sharing it here, but I thought it was worth noting.