Be excellent to each other.
Apple's World Wide Developer Conference started off life as a way for Apple's most faithful servants to pay homage, and to lick their wounds. The first was held in 1983, and things didn't go great for Apple for the next 25 years. During Steve Jobs' return to the throne, the keynote for WWDC was co-opted as another opportunity to promote Apple products to the press.
Some folks are kind of annoyed by yesterday's return to a keynote that was largely targeted at developers. It makes sense for the WWDC Keynote to be as developer focused as it was. It should have always been this way. I was initially planning on not covering this year's event at all. This is an event developers care the most about, so I'd like to let them have it without my bitching.
Unfortunately this has not gone over well with the community. I've never seen Henny in this kind of a mood. He is explicitly directing his subscribers to avoid the 2021 M1 iPad Pro until Apple make it worthwhile. He does not feel like his purchase has met that bar, and yesterday's WWDC keynote didn't change that feeling.
Here’s my thoughts on WWDC21 as it relates to purchasing a new iPadPro 2021 …
YouTuber lascoytbg shows us how long it took him to build the OPL2 kit. This tiny musical device sports a powerful FM chip and a very kind price tag. You can pick up your own kit for $27, or spend an extra $8 to get one assembled. Throughout this video you can hear the OPL2 playing the theme from Monkey Island.
This is a time-lapse of me assembling the OPL2 kit. The board is based on (in)famous YM3812 chip, the father of all FM synthesis.
If you are interested you can order one here:
Please, support me on Patreon:
YouTuber Pete Sasqwax did some grungy ambient looping with Mononoke, OB-Xd, and Gauss.
OB-Xd looping in Gauss (Gauss filter cutoff modulated by Rozeta LFO)
OB-Xd sequenced by Atom Piano Roll 2 (effected by Perforator and Kosmonaut; Perforator filter cutoff modulated by Rozeta LFO)
Mononoke mixture of notes held and notes played live
Support your friendly neighbourhood iOS app creators
Mela 2 – Synth & FX, from Nikolozi Pty Ltd, was updated with several new features including an improved preset selector, preset browser. The update also exposed new parameters to play with!
What's new in Mela 2 – Synth & FX v2.1:Preset Selector:
- Tapping preset selector now shows / hides the preset browser. This behavior aligns better with the user's expectations.
- The context menu is still available by long pressing the preset selector.
- "Random in Group" is a new mode of preset selection. When enabled, the left/right arrows turn into dice and tapping on them randomly loads a preset from the selected preset group.
- "Import" and "Export All" items have been removed from the context menu. These features are now part of the preset browser.
- Added a new action menu with the following items: "Save Preset", "Init", "Default", "Create Group". It's accessible by tapping on the button with the ellipsis icon.
- Added ability to create custom preset groups. Their buttons are double in length when compared to the User or factory preset groups. And unlike them, the custom groups aren't visible to the host.
- Presets can be imported into or exported from the User or a custom group directly. To access these features, long press a preset group button.
- When a preset is changed via the preset selector, the browser now automatically scrolls to the selected preset and selected group.
- A preset or a group can be renamed via the context menu.
- Added the ability to empty the User group.
- The context menu now displays "Factory Preset" or "Factory Group" when the long press gesture is performed on a factory item.
- The preset browser is now visible by default when the audio unit is loaded.
- Preset group contents refresh even when the changes are made in another instance of the audio unit.
- Increased minimum preset row count from 2 to 3.
- Added new presets.
- Added the global dry/wet mix parameter to Mela FX. The Dry and Wet parameters can still be adjusted independently and are found in the I/O module.
- The global mix parameter is now also a destination in the Mod Matrix.
- Increased the precision of the intensity parameter controls in the Mod Matrix.
- Double-tap-to-reset now also works on the intensity controls.
- Manually entering parameter values is now possible in Mela 2. Simply select "Number Pad" from the parameter control's context menu.
- Improved fade animations of controls.
- In the app, the musical keyboard is now visible by default.
- Preset title text size no longer follows the system's text size setting.
- Added a workaround to the iOS bug that prevents the preset importer sheet from being presented.