apeSoft, developers of iDensity and iPulsaret, have released Stria, a new FM synth that ships with Audiobus!
iTunes Description for Stria:
Multilevel Interactive Sound Synthesizer
“Stria” is the title of a very important composition by John Chowning and I would like to say that this computer music piece rapresents the manifest of Frequency Modulation technique applied to audio synthesis, invented by Mr. Chowning himself.
- Up to 240 Frequency Modulation Oscillators or simple Wavetable Additive
- Five Spectral Pitch Grid Generators (Geometric, Harmonic, Fibonacci, Scalar, Temperated)
- Event Pitch Jittering
- Event Envelope
- Oscilloscope and animated XY Pad
- Effects chain: Doppler, Chopper, Glitch Gen, Sync Grain, Spectral Arpeggiator, FDN Reverb, Dynamic Compressor/Expander
- Save unlimited Snapshots number
- Pad interpolating snapshots
- MIDI/Network Control Change input
- Connection Control: Midi, Scrub Y and Accelerometer X/Y
- Capture Master Audio Output
- Run Audio in Background
Embedded User's manual
- Up to 25 built-in snapshots presets
- Sonoma Audio copy and paste
- Dropbox supports
- Audiobus compatible
Unfortunately the only sample we have of the app is not something I can embed here, as it requires Flash.
So instead here is a video from Marc Doty about the most (in)famous FM synthesizer, Yamaha's DX7. This video does an excellent job of demonstrating how I can say that, although I haven't played with Stria yet, I would much rather play with it than a DX7!
NSFW: Put on headphones! Marc says "fuck" a lot, and with enthusiasm! This is part of a larger 20 minute tribute to the DX7.