The once ludicrously expensive $300 drum app, Different Drummer, is a mere $50 and now supports Audiobus!
This app is truly unique in its approach to formulating drum rhythm patterns, but the prohibitive price has always kept it far beyond any serious consideration.
For the first time this app is looking like it may be worth the asking price!
What's new in Different Drummer v1.5:
- Audiobus support for audio out (as input source)
- Ability to run in background allows you to play on top of Different Drummer in other apps as well as control external recording
- Improved timing and performance, stays rock solid even when adjusting waves or playing in background
- Better Tempo setting control
- Reset Audio button in case sample cuts out
- Rename recording and Dropbox files
- Export MIDI files to Dropbox
- 15 new sounds
- Ability to Lock Tracks so when randomizing they don't change
- Measure numbers in scrolling display
- Supports upside down rotation
- Few bug fixes
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but the concept here is intriguing. I tried to explain it on the spot in the latest episode of the Touch Music podcast, as a sort of Additive Synthesis for drum patterns. In hindsight that probably just confuses things even more, since so few people understand Additive Synthesis. Instead of me trying to explain it anymore here is a demo from Apps4iDevices!