Caustic has been a long running music app on Android, but version 3 is the first to make the cross-over to iOS!
Caustic 3 iTunes Description:
Caustic 3 is a music creation tool inspired by rack-mount synthesizer/sampler rigs. Everything is real-time and optimized for mobile devices.
Create your rack by adding up to 14 machines from a choice of:
- Subsynth - Virtual analog subtractive synthesizer
- PCMSynth - Multi-sample wave synthesizer
- BassLine - 303-like monosynth
- BeatBox - 8-channel sampling drum machine
- PadSynth - Harmonic table pad synthesizer
- 8BitSynth - 8bit equation solver synthesizer
- Modular - Fully configurable and routable synthesizer
- Organ - Tonewheel organ with rotary speaker
- Vocoder - 8-band harmonic vocoder
- FMSynth - DX-style 3-operator fm synthesizer
The app also includes:
- Effects rack supporting 2 effects per machine (16 effect types).
- Mixer desk with EQ, panning and global Delay/Reverb effects.
- Master section with effect slots, parametric EQ and limiter.
- Song sequencer
Supports automation recording on most controls and includes powerful editors for modifying automation curves.
Users can record their own WAV files for use in the PCMSynth, BeatBox, and Vocoder or import files through iTunes file sharing or the built-in FTP server. Supports all uncompressed WAV files (8-16-24-32bit, any sampling rate). The PCMSynth can also load SoundFont files (.sf2) and FL/Xewton instruments (.instr, .ZIP)
Exported songs can be shared using the AudioShare app.
Supports CoreMIDI for note and velocity data.
See the in-app help section for dozens of informative tutorial videos and full online manual.
There is also a FREE (full version) PC version available for download on the product website. Come visit www.singlecellsoftware.com to download more presets, request features, share your tracks and hear what others are creating with Caustic 3.
This is a pretty stellar feature set, with both CoreMIDI and AudioShare support! Sadly Audiobus and/or Inter-App Audio are not present in this version.
Developer Rejean Poirier went well beyond the call of duty on his tutorial videos! In addition to this 22 minute overview video (embedded below), you'll find a 34 minute tutorial for the modular synth, a 20 minute tutorial for the subtractive synth, an 8 minute video for the 8BitSynth, plus a hell of a lot more on the official YouTube channel.