Gestrument developer Jesper Nordin has released 3 new tutorials for his unique app. Embedded here is a basic look at the power of patterns, but you should also check out a more advanced look at Patterns and Transpose in the other videos.
A staggering amount of apps just went on sale to celebrate Winter Solstice tomorrow! TNR-e joins the rest of the Yamaha apps at 50% off, Alchemy Mobile's Pro Upgrade and all of Korg's apps are also 50% off. Lemur is only $25, for its lowest price ever!
(Updated throughout the week, newest on top. All sales checked Monday.)
Thanks to readers Adam, Adrian, Craig, Roc, Zymos, and Doze for helping me keep this list updated!
Electrify developer Ingolf Koch has released the Next Generation Groovebox, Electrify NXT!
Electrify NXT iTunes Description:
Electrify is back! Electrify NXT turns your iPad into a virtual Groovebox with drum loops, synths and effects. All in realtime! Create musical clips or load samples and loops from the 1600+ samples library and arrange them on the fly in the clip matrix. Create dramatic break downs and build ups with the performance effects.
Electrify NXT runs best on iPads with Retina Displays.
- Completely rewritten and vastly enhanced audio engine with Active Freeze Technology gives you the power to create clips with effects and stunning live performances.
- The all new session mode lets you perform with loops and clips by creating arrangements on the fly.
- New brilliant sounding polyphonic FM-style Synthesizer: Electrify NXT comes with a fully fledged frequency modulating synthesizer with 11 Algorithms and wave-morphing oscillators giving you endless sound possibilities.
- The new drumkit combines 8 samplers into one grooving loop factory.
- The powerful looper and slicer lets you deconstruct audio loops or rearrange your own clips beyond recognition.
- Electrify NXT comes with more than 1600 audio loops and one shot samples from the famous Inspire Audio Collection
- A huge load of effects spices up your loops and performances.
- Powerful parameter modulation: nearly every parameter of instruments and effects can be modulated by LFOs, Envelopes or by realtime parameter sequencing.
- Add that little extra portion of groove to your clips with Flexi-Groove templates.
- Use Electrify NXT with other Apps or your Keyboard. Audiobus, AudioCopy and Midi are integrated.
If Electrify was just the beginning, what is next?
Electrify NXT. Next Generation Groovebox.
Former Waldorf developer Wolfram Franke is the latest from the PPG Waldorf family to bring us a powerful new app! Thanks to reader synthandson for cluing me in on this one just before its release!
Stroke Machine iTunes Description:
Stroke Machine is a professional Drum and Groove Synthesizer and Sequencer for the iPad developed by Wolfram Franke.
Program your own rhythm and groove patterns and switch between them in a live performance. Mute or solo individual instruments, change parameters on the fly and record your performance as high-quality audio file for sharing or later editing on your computer.
The high-contrast user interface is perfectly suited for dim light situations on stage and assists in sound creation in the studio.
Stroke Machine's powerful synthesizer engine features high-quality Oscillator, Filter, Overdrive and Effect models, extremely fast Envelopes and LFO, sample-exact Pattern Sequencer and a sophisticated Sample, Sound and Pattern library.
The deep sound creation possibilities include two oscillators with typical analog waveforms and sample playback, frequency and ring modulation and a separate white and pink noise generator with integrated multimode filter. All tone generators are summed into a transient generator, followed by another multimode filter and a drive module with several types, a sample rate and bit depth reduction stage, and a two-band equalizer with shelf and bell curves.
Freely assignable modulations with an easy-to-understand user interface offer maximum flexibility easily surpassing even expensive hardware synthesizers.
Each sound is mixed into one of four effect busses, each featuring a sum overdrive, a compressor, a modulation effect like chorus, flanger, phaser or sum filter, and a space effect like delay or clocked delay, or natural, plate or non-linear reverb.
- 12 drum and percussion sound parts
- 12 melodic sound parts
- number of voices only limited by CPU
- 4 multi-effect busses
- pattern with up to 8 bars and 16th resolution, bar nominator and denominator freely adjustable
- modulation sequencer for smooth or quantized automation of each continuous sound and bus parameter
- 128 patterns including all sounds in direct access
- sample import
- audio export of a pattern or the whole performance
- AudioBus support
- WIST support
And this is the reason today's news was delayed by about 2 hours. The interface can be a bit overwhelming with this neon high-contrast design, but he's crammed so much stuff on each page so you have immediate access to everything. Instantly I was creating a whole drum kit with a combination of samples and FM synthesis. Having so many parameters on each page also allows for a unique way of assigning modulation destinations (such as LFO and Env) by simply tapping on where you want them to go.
This is a really well thought out app, but this 1.0 release is not without problems. I encountered serious audio glitches when I tried to bring it into Audiobus. Wolfram tells me he has also found a bug with audio output without Audiobus and a fix is on the way to Apple... when Apple gets back from their vacation on the 27th.
For the most part I found the app reasonably intuitive, but if you need it there is a detailed 86 page manual on the official site.