« Forums | App News »
   New Post
   Search

Grainstorm - Granular Synthesizer for Android

YouTuber alternatingbitmusic reviewed the granular synth Grainstorm on Android! It is nice to see when someone trys to give Android music apps some attention.

Video Description:

Just some reactions and samples - not a comprehensive review but there didn't seem to be much out there so I thought I'd share the love.

August 09, 2018  | person_outline Tim Webb
I love android as a phone platform. Gave up on it for music making years ago. I remember pressing a virtual key and hearing the note sound 1 second later the last time I tried an android synth.

Latency adjustment? Forget it.
@
On August 09, 2018 - @grammatonfeather said:
I love android as a phone platform. Gave up on it for music making years ago. I remember pressing a virtual key and hearing the note sound 1 second later the last time I tried an android synth.

Latency adjustment? Forget it.
Android phones are very variable in terms of latency. For example, Samsung fought it to the level of iOS years ago, at least on Galaxy S series.
But there's another problems: almost complete lack of ecosystem, because of this fuckup with latency historically (and despite Sammy trying to cover it with Soundcamp, its Bandcamp wannabe-alternative); the tablets historically were developed very slow too; and the whole system depends on resources much more heavily, which means less stable workflow.
But nevertheless its a great fun for Android phone/iOS tablet people like me to have anything like Grainstorm on the phone. Thanks Tim!
But anyway,
August 10, 2018  | favorite_border eVr
On August 10, 2018 - @eVr said:
Android phones are very variable in terms of latency. For example, Samsung fought it to the level of iOS years ago, at least on Galaxy S series.
But there's another problems: almost complete lack of ecosystem, because of this fuckup with latency historically (and despite Sammy trying to cover it with Soundcamp, its Bandcamp wannabe-alternative); the tablets historically were developed very slow too; and the whole system depends on resources much more heavily, which means less stable workflow.
But nevertheless its a great fun for Android phone/iOS tablet people like me to have anything like Grainstorm on the phone. Thanks Tim!
But anyway,

I will give the app a try on my now vintage HTC One M8. I only ever run custom roms on my phones since around 2012. My old samsung s3 with stock rom couldn't even play MP3 without dropouts!

Would be nice if android eventually flourished for music creation but I can't see that happening. I dislike apple and their operating methods. Only reason I have an iPad around is because of the music creation.
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit