« Forums | App News »
   New Post
   Search

apeMatrix by apeSoft

Today apeSoft released apeMatrix, a wild new way to host Audio Unit v3 (AUv3) and Inter-App Audio (IAA) apps. This is completely unlike a traditional DAW. With apeMatrix you can assign instruments and effects and then mix them together in entirely new ways. The results will probably be weird, but they could be epic!

There are 3 separate matrices you can arrange with different apps. Each of those have 2 buses that let you then route to a different matrix. If you want to get weird with MIDI there are also 3 MIDI matrix patchbays for insane new MIDI routing options.

apeMatrix iTunes Description:

apeMatrix is a unique AU/IAA routing tool that gives you total control over what you want to do and how you want to do it.

Holding true to the standard of apeSoft, apeMatrix continues to push the limits of possibilities in music creation. Automating almost every aspect of linked control, apeMatrix brings all your creation tools together and links them both in MIDI and audio. Letting you inject all your favorite FX both AU and IAA in a very easy and intuitive way. apeMatrix can also assign its Control Manager MIDI, Accelerometer, Scrub and LFO’s to modulate every built-in parameter and any parameter available inside the AUv3 (Audio Unit Plugins).

apeMatrix offers 10 slots on each of the three Matrix grids with 2 bus slots on each grid that make it possible to interconnect all 3 Matrix. The MIDI Patchbay also offers endless possibilities for MIDI routing and control in a similar grid design for both internal and external MIDI control. So you can send and receive MIDI and have ultimate control over where its routed.

Each Audio Connection on the grid has its own gain control. Just tap on the node and drag will give you the full range of volume control. Or use Mixer to controls the RAU output and automate them using apeSoft’s unique Control Manager MIDI, Accelerometer, Scrub and LFO’s to modulate every built-in parameter and any parameter available inside the AUv3 (Audio Unit Plugins).

Turn each slot on or off by a control switch on the Matrix or MIDI control. Control output, pan, mute and solo of each slot and Master output of each Matrix with the built in mixer control or MIDI control.

Route your sounds through all a series of FX or route multiple sounds through the very some FX. The possibilities are as endless as your creativity.

Features include:
3 Matrix Audio
3 MIDI Matrix
10 Open Slots per Matrix (hosts up to 30 plugins)
2 Audio Bus Slots per Matrix
2 MIDI Bus Slots per Matrix
MIDI Monitor
MIDI Scale Filtering, Transpose etc…
Control Manager (MIDI, Accelerometer, LFO, Scrub) for all Built-In Parameters
Control Manager (MIDI, Accelerometer, LFO, Scrub) for all AUv3 (Audio Unit Plugins)
Presets Manager and Morphing Pad
Save Custom AUv3 Presets
Session Saving/Load
Save/Load View’s Frame in Presets
Transport to sends host sync to Audio Unit plugins and IAA
Integrated and configurable MIDI keyboard with scales
Connections output and panning controls
Post Dynamic Processor
Audiobus and Inter-Audio App (Sender and Fx)
Audiobus state saving
Ableton Link
Precise MIDI Clock In/Out
AudioShare Compatible
AudioCopy Compatible
MIDI Manager: Virtual Midi and Network, 14 bit NRPN controllers
File Manager, sharing common audio files via iTunes, Dropbox and AudioCopy etc…
Variable Sampling Rate (up to 96 kHz)
Variable Buffering Size
Variable UI Color Schemes
etc…

Developer Alessandro Petrolati created a basic tutorial, with captions, to help you get started.

June 09, 2018  | person_outline Tim Webb
Almost waited for this post before buying it (for the affiliate code). Hopefully, using the discchord link from another apeSoft product worked.

To my mind, it’s an alternative to AUM and Audiobus. Relatively easy to understand, once you realize a few things. Makes obvious those connections between modules. The matrix idea makes sense in this kind of context.
Still not sure which of the AU hosts holds the key advantage. Also don’t think the three of them are needed (though they do connect well with one another). This is especially true if you have the Rozeta suite. Any host will do.
The apeSoft LFOs apparently have some features not found in the Rozeta LFOs. Then again, AUM has some convenient first-party effects. And AB3 has some unique support (such as some MIDI FX plugins not yet converted to AU MIDI). All three accept IAA as well as AUv3. Also, with the most recent AB3 beta, all three support AU MIDI.
To me, it comes down to preference. Focused on AB3 when it come out a year ago. Been focusing on AUM for a while. Could spend some quality time with apeMatrix.

Oh, and while many forum users praise apeSoft, been finding those other apps somewhat confusing or at least less discoverable. Not too much of an issue in apeMatrix, partly because its “story” is more straightforward (apart from the LFO parts).
This really looks potentially mind blowing and consciousness expanding! I this having the buses around to AUM will be pretty awesome. I LOVE the way APE and amazing noises do LFO/controller mapping.

This app is going to be a serious rabbit hole to dive into!
I'm very happy to see another audio/midi AU management contender (keep pushing AudioBus and AUM to the top of their game) and apeSoft does deliver some excellent products. I've read the user manual for apeMatrix, but found it a little hard to follow. I hope some useful tutorial videos come around (hint, hint, PantsOfDeath). I'd also like to see someone put together a complete comparison of the various overlaps and unique features between AB, AUM and ApeMatrix
What are those Apple AU effects? Are they listed because of iOS Garageband or is there some AU loading from macOS?
On June 10, 2018 - @Erik said:
What are those Apple AU effects? Are they listed because of iOS Garageband or is there some AU loading from macOS?

No, they're AU effects that are built into iOS. Any app (or AU host) can use them, but the catch is that they don't have a UI of their own. So the host needs to provide one for them.
June 10, 2018  | person_outline Bram
On June 10, 2018 - @Bram said:

No, they're AU effects that are built into iOS. Any app (or AU host) can use them, but the catch is that they don't have a UI of their own. So the host needs to provide one for them.

Interesting! ApeMatrix doesn’t seem to offer a UI for these plugins though. I tried one of them (distortion) and all it offered was a menu of presets... No UI.
comment

Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old posts. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit