Reader Matthew Fetcher from AudioKit Pro released FM Player! This is a completely free recreation of the classic FM presets found in Yamaha's DX7/DX7 II. Although it does not include the synthesis elements, the app does let you shape the sound with a filter and several effects. FM Player, like AudioKit itself, is open-source. It's also making use of other open-source code. The reverb in here is based on code shared by Valhalla Reverb developer Sean Costello.
The app arrives with Audiobus and basic Inter-App Audio support. And it is free! Holy shit! I feel like I'm doing a contest post where everyone wins a copy! Oh wow, I'm having an Oprah moment. You get a synth app, and you get a synth app! Everyone gets a synth app!
FM Player iTunes Description:Beautiful Free iPad instrument featuring the classic sounds of famous 80s FM Synthesizers.
- Faithful recordings of famous classic presets from original retro 80s FM Synthesizers
- Over 50+ presets included, completely free!
- Beautiful Reverb, Auto Pan, Bit Crush, Stereo Fatten, and more!
- MIDI in (Play with a MIDI Keyboard)
- Low-pass Filter: Cutoff, Rez, and Filter LFO
- Analog Tape Style Ping-Pong Delay
- GREAT for playing Live with a Keyboard: MIDI Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Program Change, Velocity sensitive sounds, and Sustain Pedal support already added
- Some basic Inter-App Audio (IAA) integration. Use with GarageBand!
- AudioBus 3 support. Use these amazing sounds w/ other apps that support AB3 audio & midi.
- All Knobs have MIDI Learn!
“Sounds LUSH and awesome!” – The Sound Test Room
"Truly sounds like the real deal! DX7 is all about the EPs for me...and this one nails it!" - David A., AudioBus Forum
"The sound quality is incredible! Absolutely amazing!" -- IOSoundDesign, AudioBus Forum
"It sounds fantastic! So crisp and clean. I had a few 80/90’s flashbacks on some of those presets. Very cool!" – Eros, AudioBus Forum
BONUS: All features included Free. Plus, it's Ad Free!
If you like the app, please support us by telling your friends. And, leaving great reviews in the App Store. It's quick and helps us! Thank you!