« Forums | App News »
   New Post
   Search

Tempi Beat Detector by Made by Windmill, LLC

Made by Windmill, LLC recently released Tempi Beat Detector. The app is designed to settle disputes between bandmates over who is truly keeping time, and it can do that across multiple instruments. Tempi sports 4 different beat detection algorithms that are running simultaneously, while self-tuning to figure out which of those is giving the most accurate results.

Tempi Beat Detector iTunes Description:

Tempi measures you and your entire band’s tempo live, while you play, and lets you analyze the performance when you’re done. It's like a reverse metronome.

* Tempi listens while you (or your entire band) play.
* Tempi reports the BPM (beats per minute) of your performance in real time with remarkable accuracy.
* When you’re done, Tempi lets you analyze the recording so that problem areas can be pinpointed and improved.
* Use Tap for Tempo to quickly get a BPM reading at any time.
* Switch themes for easy nighttime use or just to suit your style.
* Export the audio recording of your performance to keep or share with others.

Tempi is free, but has features you can pay to unlock. Unlock all features, including future ones we add to Tempi, for a one-time cost. Or you can individually unlock Unlimited Recording, Themes, and Audio Export.

HOW TO USE

In a band setting, place the iPhone or iPad in a position where the entire band can see it so everyone will know when the band is speeding up or slowing down. When you’re done playing the song, press the stop button to analyze the performance. You can scroll through the entire song, isolate where the tempo sped up or slowed down, and play back the song to get an idea of what went wrong.

Tempi is great for individual practice too. Use it instead of a metronome while practicing to pinpoint problem areas in a piece of music that you’re learning. If you can play through an entire song with the tempo only changing by 1 or 2 BPMs, you’ve arrived :-)

Tempi works best when there’s a distinct “pulse” to the song, like a kick drum/snare or a repeating chord, and assumes the player is trying to play at a consistent tempo. With less structured music it still does quite well but may occasionally report incorrect tempos.
October 11, 2017  | person_outline Tim Webb
Drummers are sooooo gonna hate this one lol.
October 11, 2017  | person Nonny Moose
On October 11, 2017 - @Nonny Moose said:
Drummers are sooooo gonna hate this one lol.

Yeah. I worked with a drummer who claimed it was not “humanly possible” for a person to play with a click track.
October 12, 2017  | person_outline El Jeffe
On October 12, 2017 - @El Jeffe said:

Yeah. I worked with a drummer who claimed it was not “humanly possible” for a person to play with a click track.

LOL! Must have been a great drummer.
This is the third such app I've seen. One thing that makes these apps problematic, is that they have a hard time interpreting rhythms that you are intentionally playing-- like mixing 8ths & triplets, or 16ths and triplets. Or just funky rhythms- generally. One thing that would be helpful is if you can tell the app the high and low range, and if it thinks you are playing past that range, it should try to re-interpret based on some other way of reading the rhythm you play. (I.e., that was x ticks, must have been a dotted 8th, that was y ticks, I bet that was a quarter-note triplet).

I wish they could be smarter, but they aren't.
October 12, 2017  | favorite_border stub
comment

Post a New Comment

You are not currently logged in. Would you like to login or register?
Enter your information below to add a new comment anonymously.

I'm not a racist, but...
Usernames need to be at least 2 characters!
I'm not a racist, but...
Please don't use weird characters in usernames!
{[ Ctrl.useravailable[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
{[ Ctrl.useravailabletext[Ctrl.userselector] ]}
Wow, that's a short email address!

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit