VoCo, a new Vocal Coaching iPhone app, looks like a complete suite of tools to aid vocalists in perfecting their craft!
VoCo Vocal Coach iTunes Description:
All singers struggle with vocal issues. Out of tune - out of breath- timing - voice breaks - weak spots - limited range - tone quality - vocal fatigue. Even top artists take regular sessions with vocal coaches to help them maintain a great voice. The voice is a muscle and must be kept in shape and successful singers understand that vocal exercises are a foundation establishing good technique and developing a great voice.
Vocal exercises are the perfect tool but singing unaccompanied doesn’t provide enough guidance for pitch and tempo. Using tracks on audio CDs or MP3 is better but allow you to alter the speed and pitch or focus on specifics.
- Adjust the playback pitch according to your voice type: Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Mezzo-Soprano, Soprano
- Create a playlist for your training session containing your selected tracks
- Choose from 30 scales and arpeggios.
- Adjust the playback speed.
- Fine tune the starting pitch of the track.
- Determine the length of exercise by adjusting the number of repetitions for a track.
- On-screen animation to illustrate the pitch and vocal register
- Change musical notation according to your preference -International, French, Italian & German
VoCo supports the four different learning approaches:
- Vicarious - listen to demos of pro-singers and learn new styles & techniques.
- Experiential - sing with guidance and make notes to journal your progress.
- Systematic - create playlists based on lesson plans from your vocal coach or singing program
- Diagnostic - record your workout and critically listen to the recording. Note the problems and try again aiming for small incremental improvements.
IK Multimedia have updated VocaLive to 2.0, with a new DAW-style studio section. This comes as an IAP, with a very complicated pricing structure that varies depending on your device. It can only be purchased with, or if you already have, the multitrack recorder:
The new studio feature is available as an in-app purchase for $9.99/€8.99 on iPhone and iPod touch and $14.99/€13.99 on iPad for users who have already purchased the multitrack Recorder, or at a special "Total Studio Bundle" price of $17.99/€15.99 on iPhone and iPod touch and $26.99/€23.99 on iPad that also includes the multitrack recorder.
What's new in VocaLive v2.0:
New Studio Section Turns VocaLive into a Full-Fledged DAW
- Studio section* (available via in-app purchase) offers DAW-style features: waveform visualization and editing, touch-and-drag looping, normalization, punch-in/punch-out recording, per-channel FX on/off button and full access to all mixing and recording controls
- AutoFreeze (allows each track to have its own full effects chain)
* requires iPhone 4, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later
Shawn Malcomson posted this jam on a Korg Kaossilator Pro with a Korg Wavedrum Global. This video is kind of unique, in that he's controlling the Kaossilator's notes from an iPad instead of the X/Y pad. That is unusual, but does offer finer control.
Anytune was updated over the weekend, which the Anytune developer encourages users to avoid if you want to be able to download YouTube videos. Reader Steve Harrington asked on Twitter if there was a way to block an app from being updated, so you can continue to update other apps with the Update All button.
The answer is yes, but this method is only available on jailbroken devices!
With iFunbox or iFile you can navigate to the app directory and simply rename the iTunesMetadata.plist file. I recommend renaming it to something you will recognize so that you can easily revert it if you want to ever update the app in the future. I use iTunesMetadata.plistBACKUP, so I know to just remove the BACKUP from the name.
Reboot your device and the app will no longer show up in the App Store update list! I further tested this and Update All will no longer effect the app either! Here is a screenshot of renaming in iFile, by clicking on the file's info icon.
SongBook + is easily one of the most elaborate songbook apps out there, and this weekend's update secured its position. In addition to managing sheet music and lyrics, this now offers MIDI Output of SysEx data and MIDI CC.
SongBook + iTunes Description:
SongBook+ allows you to manage your lyrics and/or sheet music and to always have them to hand during your performance.
Automatic page turns
SongBook+ can turn the pages for you, allowing you to focus on singing. Simply record your manual page turns once and replay them later.
Do you want a position pointer as with Karaoke? Simply record the position by tracing your fingertip over the text and when playing it the next time, you will see a red point where your finger was.
Play background music
If you do not perform your background music live, you can transfer your playback music (MP3, WAV) to SongBook+ and play it as background music while displaying the lyrics. This way you only need your iPad, a microphone and an amplifier for a great performance. You can also use this feature as a backup solution in case your keyboard is not working.
SongBook+ can replay video files of type MOV, MP4, MPV, 3GP, M4V.
Play midi files
SongBook+ has built-in MIDI file player that can send the content of the MIDI file to external hardware (expander, keyboard) or to a 3rd party syntesizer app running in background. (SongBook+ has NO built-in synthesizer!)
MIDI-controlled document popup
If you prefer to select your song using the keyboard and only want SongBook+ to display the corresponding document after selecting a song or MIDI style, this is possible: SongBook+ can respond to MIDI program change commands from the keyboard. SongBook+ supports all MIDI adapters that are compatible with CoreMIDI.
Send MIDI commands
SongBook+ can send outgoing MIDI commands upon selecting, starting or stopping a song. This can be used to configure external MIDI equipment corresponding to the selected song. You can even place your own individual buttons into the lyrics / music sheet and send configurable MIDI commands upon pressing these buttons.
Control using foot pedals
With foot pedals, you can page forward and backward, start or stop the song, skip to the next song or go back to the song list.
Additional features• Take pictures of lyrics and convert them to PDF's
• Bluetooth or WLAN connection between iPads
• Start playback at a specific position