Yamaha has released a new Tenori-on app for iOS, but the differences in this version seem slight. For $20, it looks like you get a different sample set and new master effects. This has greatly upset some TNR-i owners, who feel this should have been an update to TNR-i; with the samples added as an In-App Purchase.
As with all Yamaha apps: Brazil is fucked, along with most of the rest of the world outside of the US and Europe.
It's a sad to post this right after the previous story reminded me that Yamaha used to be awesome.
Yamaha TNR-e iTunes Description:
The TENORI-ON enables people to create music intuitively and without any specialized knowledge about music using a 16 x 16 matrix button pad, and now there is the new TNR-e app that has new tones that capture the essence of dub step, progressive house/EDM, electro and other types of music not previously available.
Now you can access DubstKit and other new drum-pad tones, get fat bass tones like BriteBas and Helium, and dazzling tones of DubBAXX, Voxdance, VoodooWh, which were not previously available on the TENORI-ON, which makes this app a perfect place to start with your next multi-track project.
And only the TNR-e comes with several new attractive features and 2 master effect systems. Use the XY pad interface to apply the FILTER and six other types of effects to make your music come alive!
- Newly designed tones suitable to dance music
- 253 different tone types perfect for electronic music
- 2 master effect systems (seven types: FILTER, DICIMATOR, DELAY, FLANGER, NOISE, LOOPER, ISOLATOR, LOOPER)
- New interface that even beginners can understand easily
- Inter-App Audio compatible
- AudioBus compatible
- Guide feature that explains button operations
- Multi-session feature for multiple players
- Audio recording
- User Voice function
- Yamaha Server for file sharing
- SoundCloud upload feature
- AudioCopy compatible
Mercifully there haven't been a lot of half-assed Theremin apps lately. Theremin I/O continues this trend, with a well designed Theremin for iPhone that includes MIDI output as an IAP.
Theremin I/O iTunes Description:
Introductory price during the first week!
Play with light
Theremin I/O turns your iPhone into a touchless music instrument. It uses your camera and flash to measure the distance to your hand, this signal is then processed by a synthesizer to generate a tone.
- Old-school synthesizer
- Constrain input to scales (harmony quantization)
- 8 sound presets with effect controls
- 50+ scale presets
- Use as a MIDI controller (requires in-app purchase)
- Learn fast with the tutorial overlay
Embedded below is a little demo of how it is played, and there is also a demo of the app MIDI controlling Traktor.
Peelerville talks us through his setup for running a University radio station from his iPad! Using Bossjock Studio, connected via Audiobus to KoalaSan, streaming to a Mac, and then out to the airwaves!