Secret Base Designer Fessaboy immediately snapped up the JACK Audio Connection Kit SDK yesterday and started adding support in their apps! Jesse from Sonosaurus also announced that Thumbjam would be updated with support for JACK.
Fessaboy was commenting here yesterday with some excellent developer insights. He brought up an excellent point I had overlooked when I welcomed JACK as our new VirtualMIDI Overlords. For controller apps and sequencers that currently use VirtualMIDI to send MIDI to multiple apps, JACK is kind of a step backwards as you have to go into JACK to configure those destinations. For Secret Base Design's own MIDI Control this doesn't make a lot of sense, since you can just select those destinations right there inside of MIDI Control. He had good things to say about using JACK for Audio and the ease of implementation, but doesn't feel it is going to replace Audiobus.
It is now a race to see who gets to be the first third-party developer with a JACK app on iTunes, but it looks like Secret Base Design is in the lead with this demo of Live Guitar.
Amusingly this video was tweeted out with the chords for AC/DC's The Jack, which can be imported into Live Guitar. So meta!
Following yesterday's release of the GarageBand update, and the first sale on Audiobus, it has shot up to #1 in the iPad Music category on the US iTunes! This is quite an accomplishment, and one of the few times GarageBand has ever been unseated from the #1 position.
I have to imagine nearly everyone reading this site has already bought it, but if you haven't, this is the time to do so! This is the first and potentially only time it will be on sale.
For all you new Audiobus owners, The Sound Test Room has posted a detailed starter guide!
A whole bunch of Audiobus enabled apps are on sale today, celebrating the release of the Garageband Audiobus update.
This is only the second sale on AudioShare since its release last July!
Vio voice synthesizer got a big update full of improvements, including AudioCopy/Paste at high quality settings.
What's new in 1.1.0
- recordings are now accessible directly from the main screen (bottom, center)
- you can now audition recordings in the app
- you can now save recordings to your Photo Library, allowing you to send them via iMessage/MMS and upload to YouTube
- AudioCopy/Paste is now functional when recording quality is set to high (iOS Settings > Vio)
- icons on main screen are now larger
- fixed an error generated when using the Alesis iO Dock and some other accessories
- added 128kbps AAC as a recording option
- improved resizing of the settings popover on iPad
- streamlined Vio's settings screen
- added buttons to find us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & Vimeo
- added the ability to reset your SoundCloud login (iOS Settings > Vio)
I couldn't find any new videos for Vio, but here is one of the original promos featuring Aby Wolf. The results sound surprisingly like Marlee Matlin (which Google correctly identifies as the first result for "that deaf actress") trying to sing.
Orphion developer Bastus Trump would like for you to remember Orphion exists, so he released a new "intro" video.
In addition to being a unique MIDI instrument interface, Orphion supports Audiobus for exporting its own sounds.