Alesis, manufacturer of excellent music gear and the iO Dock, has released their first app. DM Touch is a feature packed appified version of their drum modules. We're big fans of the DM line of drum modules in my house, but this is no DM Pro.
Sadly this first release version is so buggy that it will not be usable for many people. The MIDI input assignments are all over the place, and the interface for reassigning them is broken. If you want to use any kit other than the default Rock Kit while the app is in the background you're out of luck. The app will work in the background, but as soon as you flip away from it to a sequencer app, and back, it reverts to the default kit.
I don't want to beat up on them too bad for giving us a free app, but they aren't exactly doing themselves any favors here. Why the fuck are they shoveling out this level of quality, after over a year in development? Beta Testing saves lives.
Alesis DM Touch iTunes Description:
DM Touch, the companion app to the Alesis DM Dock, transforms your iPad into a full-color, multi-touch drum module. With 10 professional drum kits from the leading software developer SONiVOX, you can instantly call up and play a range of preset rock, jazz, electronic kits, and more. Customize each kit by choosing from 145 sounds and dragging and dropping them directly onto the DM Touch interface. The included premium sample library includes snares, kicks, cymbals, electronic drum, and percussion samples. DM Touch also includes many controls for tuning, mixing, and tweaking the settings of your DM Dock trigger inputs. Inter-App audio support for iOS 7 enables you to record, edit, and mix your drum performances with other iOS 7 apps, such as GarageBand or Cubasis.
- A responsive drum module app developed for the Alesis DM Dock, a drum interface for iPad
- Includes 10 premium drum kits from SONiVOX that include Rock, Jazz, Electronic kits, and more
- Drag-and-drop functionality for creating and customizing your own kits
- 145 acoustic and electronic drum include snares, kicks, hi-hats, cymbals, and more
- Built-in mixer with adjustable level faders, panning, and reverb for each drum and cymbal sound
- Use the Master reverb and level fader to control the overall sound of the drum kit
- Dedicated precision controls let you control the pitch of each drum, cymbal, and percussion sound independently
- Metronome page with level, panning, metronome sound, time signature, and tap tempo settings
- Sync the metronome to external MIDI sources such as drum machines, synthesizers, and other MIDI gear
- Trigger Settings page makes it easy to adjust input type, sensitivity, crosstalk, retrigger settings, and more
- Supports Inter-App Audio in iOS7 for use with other iPad Apps such as GarageBand or Cubasis
This app was first seen over a year ago at NAMM 2013, as part of a DM Dock Pro Kit that they never released. There was no mention of it at NAMM this year, so it was probably cancelled.
Retronyms has released the first update to the AudioCopy management app. This is a huge update; with a new editor, and a score of other features. The editor looks very visually stimulating and fun to play with. Best of all, its free!