Soundtrap is social network for music collaboration that's been around for about a year. They've now released a Universal iOS app and I'll give them credit for including some important tools to achieve collaboration; like video chat built-in to the app. You'll have a hard time finding new friends to collaborate with though, because they are using a subscription pricing model and no one is going to use it.
Update: Soundtrap added details for a free "Basic Subscription" to their iTunes description. I've included them here.
Soundtrap iTunes Description:
Experience the new way of making music together!
With Soundtrap you make music online with old and new friends. Plug in your own instrument, use the software instruments available in Soundtrap or just record a song directly with your computer microphone. It's super-easy!
You can start, edit and collaborate on your recordings wherever you are: everything is stored in the cloud!
Moreover, with Soundtrap you don't have to be alone in your creative moments. You can share the fun of making music in real-time with friends using text and video chat and real-time collaboration.
- Create music with a large set of high-quality loops in variety of genres.
- Record vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass and other instruments.
- Use preamps and large number of high-quality guitar, bass and vocal effects.
- Play the built-in sampled instruments (piano, organ, synths, drums and more).
- Save all your recordings in the cloud for easy access from all devices.
- Invite friends to collaborate on your recordings using text and video chat.
- Share your recordings on Facebook, Twitter and SoundCloud.
Basic Subscription Features:
- Record live audio
- Basic software instruments
- Import / export tracks
- Access to 750 loops
- Play with 151 instruments & sounds
- Save up to 5 projects / songs
Basic Subscription is Free.
Premium Subscription Features:
- Save unlimited projects
- Access all loops (over 2790 loops)
- All instruments & sounds (over 210)
- Antares Auto-Tune®
- Time restore
Premium Subscription Prices:
Monthly: $9.99 / month
Annual: $94.99 / year
Pro Subscription Features:
- Save up to 50 projects
- Access to 1900 loops
- Play with 176 instruments & sounds
Pro Subscription Prices:
Monthly: $4.99 / month
Annual: $46.99 / year
Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period at the cost of the chosen package (monthly or yearly).
You may turn off the auto-renewal of your subscription via your iTunes Account Settings. However, you are not able to cancel the current subscription during its active period.
A couple of the most unique iOS music apps went on sale today! This is the first Beatsurfing sale since 2012!
Malcolm Mugglin has released ChordMaps2, a new MIDI controller featuring a layout of complimentary chords.
ChordMaps2 iTunes Description:
ChordMaps2 is an iPad music app which allows musicians, songwriters, music educators, and music students to explore and improvise melody lines, bass lines, and chord progressions, in both major and minor keys, most of the time tapping with just one or two fingers.
IMPORTANT: ChordMaps2 is a MIDI controller. It doesn't create audio signals on its own. Instead, it sends MIDI signals to other synthesizer apps on the iPad. These other music apps respond to the MIDI information and create the audio signals.
ChordMaps2 allows you to play some very interesting music on the iPad, just by tapping the various chord locations on the screen.
The demonstration video at the ChordMaps2 website (look for the Developer Website link in the left column or visit mugglinworks.com/ChordMaps2) shows some of the things you can do with ChordMaps2.
The new app comes complete with a demo! Here it controls a variety of other apps via Virtual MIDI!
Igor Vasiliev's has received a major update every month so far this year, and April is no exception! Highlights in this month's update include a new fullscreen recorder and sample editor on iPhone, as well as Inter-App Audio MIDI connections, and several improvements to the way MIDI controls are handled.
What's new in FieldScaper v1.5:
- Full screen recorder / sample editor for iPhone landscape.
- Supported Dropbox service for download and upload files.
- Improved Inter-App Audio support as Musical Instrument and Effect.
- Supported Inter-App Audio MIDI connection, BPM and transport controls.
- List of assignable MIDI controls divided by categories.
- Direct, Pick-up and Scaling modes for faders with MIDI controller.
- Sending states of buttons and faders for display state on MIDI controller.
- Improved automatic start for mode "Loop A" in the looper.
- Improved user interface for built-in description.
- Updated description of the application.
- Several minor bugs have been fixed.
This one arrives with a demo performance, making use of the new MIDI CC controls. This is also just a fun jam!