Alexandernaut's helpful LINK to MIDI returns to iTunes after being pulled on the day of its initial release last month. This app lets you MIDI sync external hardware with Ableton Link, effectively making anything with a MIDI connection Link enabled! The new version has remarkably improved MIDI clock performance. Pictured below is a graph of the clock timing in a round trip after leaving the app and going back through a CoreMIDI interface; then recording on a computer.
LINK to MIDI iTunes Description:
LINK to MIDI = Ableton Link to MIDI Clock Sync.
LINK to MIDI connects Ableton Link to musical devices that support MIDI Clock Sync. Simply join a Link session, connect your MIDI device, and that's it. Your MIDI device is now Link-enabled.
LINK to Midi features Launch Quantization, an incredibly stable clock output, and fine offset control (-250ms to +250ms).
LINK to MIDI is only recommended for use with hardware MIDI devices. Connecting to apps is possible, but may lead to a poor user experience due to software challenges in synchronizing to MIDI Clock. Ableton Link fixes this.
Please contact the developers of your favorite apps and ask them to support Ableton Link.
The power of the app is well demonstrated here as LINK to MIDI makes a Roland TR-8 now Link Enabled!
Horn Section HD is a new app from the developer of Drum Loops HD. This one arrives with Audiobus and Inter-App Audio so you can easily add a horn section to your mix! Unfortunately it does not seem to have a demo.
Horn Section HD iTunes Description:
Real live horns for your songs, played by the first call horn section in The Netherlands, the Jayhorns! Right in your back pocket and recorded for IOS only! An app for iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch with dedicated design for all devices and full Audiobus and Inter App Audio support. Enhance your tracks with these licks, stabs and swells and enjoy the live feel of a real horn section! And in GarageBand the licks follow tempo and key, the perfect 'brass' add-on!
Perfect for producers and songwriters….. licks, stabs, swells and more in 7 chapters performed in 3 bpms and 4 essential keys, over 300 in total. Perfect for Garageband users on IOS, all licks were performed with minor third intervals and are presented as Apple Loops so copied to GB the licks follow the key set in GB with ease, as well as tempo! (these features are 'Garageband only') Copy any lick to any other paste equipped DAW (and use built in time stretching and transposing functions if you like) and enhance your tracks with a live horn section at your finger tips as if you had them in your own studio. The lines were composed based on often requested parts as experienced by the incredible Jayhorns (see bio for tours/albums and credits).
- All licks can be copied as Apple Loops to GB, following tempo and key changes
- All licks can be copied to any other paste equipped daw
- Full horn section library for anyone making music on an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch
- Audiobus compatible
- Inter App Audio compatible
- Easy auditioning of licks as they all loop within the app
- Performed, recorded and built only for IOS
- Many styles in relevant bpms (check content list)
- Lines, swells, stabs and other content were produced with your compositions in mind
- Uncut, not time stretched, actual high end recordings
- Audio quality: 44.1 kHz, 16 bit (cd)
- All licks, stabs and swell actually played separately in all bpms and keys, by the first call horn section in The Benelux
- All licks can be cut, altered and moved for more complex arranging
- Any lick can be used creatively outside the mentioned style with ease
The licks were edited and mastered to a logical length, depending on style/meaning and use for you to place them quickly and get them automatically in the 'right spot" but they can be moved for different effects and placed freely within your sequencer of choice. And of course, licks can be stacked as well. Line up: Trumpet-Trumpet-Trombone-Saxophone (with Flugelhorn and Baritone Sax variations within the chapters).
Vadim Bratchenkov did some fun Lo-Fi Trip-Hop on Xynthesizr with Elastic Drums. Even the video was made on iOS!
Track - https://soundcloud.com/tegnesf/drawin...
Apps used (iPad): Xynthesizr, Elastic Drums, MiMix, Audiobus, GarageBand.
Visuals were created in Generate App.
Just last week there was a preview for this new performance synth and today it arrives on iTunes! This is intended as a more professional edition of the free CHAiOS SYNTH released in 2013.
CHAiOS SYNTH 2 iTunes Description:
The CHAiOS SYNTH 2 is a further development of the free and easy-to-use CHAiOS SYNTH, which was formerly developed at the University of Applied Sciences Duesseldorf. The new version is beefed up by a number of new features and improvements. Now the CHAiOS SYNTH 2 has become a full professional synthesizer while staying as intuitive and uncomplicated as its predecessor.
With support for Inter-App Audio and Audiobus the CHAiOS SYNTH 2 can be used together with other audio apps on iPad.
- 16 Step melody generator with unique random algorithm
- Wavetable oscillator with three different waveforms
- VA lowpass filter with variable resonance and cutoff frequency
- Delay and reverb-effects
- ADSR envelopes for controlling amp and filter frequency
- Support for Audiobus and Inter-App Audio
Improvements to CHAiOS Synth 1
- New bandlimited wavetable oscillator
- New „virtual analog“ 4-pole lowpass filter
- Additional ADSR-envelope for the filter frequency
- 3 modes for filter resonance
- 16 step /3 track drum-sequencer
- More parameters for reverb and delay
- Adjustable oscillator volume
- Improved, streamlined design
By placing your finger on the X/Y-pad a looped melody is generated by a random algorithm, the finger position determines how many notes are used. If a melody sounds good to you, it can be looped and the sound can be tweaked by a number of parameters and effects. The options to modify the sound are carefully selected to work well together and provide a creative and fun workflow.
Javanese YouTuber Chaidhir did a nice cover of the insanely popular Adele track, Hello, using his iPhone and guitar.
"HELLO" - Iphone Cover by Chaidhir
Composing by Chaidhir
Arrangement by Chaidhir
"HELLO" Originally by Adele