SourceDistribution has the first detailed look at the new BeatStep Pro by Arturia. I've gotten a lot of use out of my original BeatStep, but this Pro version looks like a serious upgrade. At $250 the price also jumped quite a lot in this version.
This demo is an excellent example of the power imbued in the tiny sequencer!
Update: Zymos pointed out in the comments here that there is also a demo from Sonic State!
LoopTree is a new Universal iOS looper, with an emphasis on layering unlimited tracks and a nicely designed interface. This one arrives with MIDI, Audiobus/IAA, AudioCopy, and some helpful introductory videos!
LoopTree iTunes Description:
LoopTree is an exciting new breed of looper that brings more fun than ever to creating live music! Record and group practically unlimited vocal and instrumental loops using a powerful, layered interface that gives you unrivalled control over the music you create.
Get your creative juices flowing and evolve your loops using the built-in filter and multi-touch beat repeat.
- Unlimited number of loops (practically!)
- Non-destructive layering
- Beat repeat - sample, repeat and reverse
- Filter - add variety with an LPF, BPF and HPF
- Normal recording - fixed or multiple length loops
- Chained recording - select multiple tracks to record loops back-to-back
- Layered recording - equivalent of non-destructive overdubbing
Easy To Use
- One-finger volume/pan control on individual or simultaneous loops
- Group control - group tracks into layers; parent tracks control all layers of child tracks.
- MIDI Control
- Quantize options
- Metronome - create custom accented rhythms
Sharing and Import
- Support for IAA, AudioBus and AudioCopy/Paste
- Share sessions and recordings via email, iTunes and SoundCloud
LoopTree works well with headphones, but for truly outstanding quality, we recommend using a USB audio interface. We have tested the following interfaces:
- Behringer UCA222 and 202
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (includes MIDI)
Embedded here is the introductory video, and there is also a Recording Tutorial.
Helio Workstation is a free cross-platform workstation. It is presently available for Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, and iOS! And it really is free; no ads, no IAPs. It has been out on iOS since March, but went completely unnoticed until Palm Sounds spotted its most recent update.
Helio Workstation iTunes Description:
Helio is the cross-platform lightweight music creation playground. Developed by musician with the dream of a perfect speed-painting toolbox, it features linear-based sequencer with clean UI, integrated version control to sync the projects between devices, export to midi and more.
Available for tablets and desktops.
Freeware, no ads, no in-app purchases.
What's New in v1.2:
- added MIDI files export (accessed via iTunes file sharing),
- added settings page with UI themes selection,
- implemented interactive dragging of the chord menu,
- various minor fixes.
Here is a demo of the latest version running on a Mac.
iPulsaret reached version 2.0 in today's update. In addition to several new UI skins that bring it in line with other apeSoft apps, there are also a lot of functional additions in this update.
- New: UI Skins
- New: Knob/Slider
- New: Control Manager LFO
- New: Harmonic Source Multislider
- New: Keyboard trigger Sample to start
- New: Mp3 Sample Supports
- Extended polyphony at 32 Voices
- Support for 14 bit MIDI nRPN
- Improved Hyper Vectorial Pad
- Improved Lowpass Ladder
- Improved some knobs with exponential curve
- Inter-App Audio fixed
- DSP on/off fade
- Save Control Manager in the Presets
- Optimised for iPhone 6 and 6+
- iOs 8.3 SDK
- Audiobus 184.108.40.206
- Midibus 1.27
- Bug Fixed
- Two built-in new preset banks
Here's a fun sounding demo of the different results you can get in this version of the granular synthesis app!