On Monday Loopy was updated with VoiceOver support, among other new features, but included a bug in iOS 5 and rotation problems for iPhones running iOS 6. A Tasty Pixel was able to get a quick fix to Apple and it is now available on iTunes!
What's new in Loopy (both versions):
- Fix for iOS 5 compatibility
- Fixed some timing issues when Loopy is synced to a MIDI clock
- Tweaked behaviour of punch-out when "Count-In" is disabled
- Fixed rotation for iPhones running iOS 6
Changes in the previous version (released Monday):
- Loopy is now fully accessible using VoiceOver
- Added "Toggle Reverse" MIDI Action
- Revised behaviour of "Toggle record, then record next track", "Toggle record, mute, then record next track" and "Mute and unmute next muted track" controller functions
- Auto-select tracks when recording while using MIDI/Bluetooth controllers
- Added "Simultaneous Recording" setting
- Re-record action now cancels in-progress recordings
- Accuracy improvements in MIDI sync - Reduced loop boundary crossfade duration - Assorted bug fixes
Buy Loopy on iTunes: $2.99 (iPhone)
apeSoft, developers of iDensity and iPulsaret, have released Stria, a new FM synth that ships with Audiobus!
iTunes Description for Stria:
Multilevel Interactive Sound Synthesizer
“Stria” is the title of a very important composition by John Chowning and I would like to say that this computer music piece rapresents the manifest of Frequency Modulation technique applied to audio synthesis, invented by Mr. Chowning himself.
- Up to 240 Frequency Modulation Oscillators or simple Wavetable Additive
- Five Spectral Pitch Grid Generators (Geometric, Harmonic, Fibonacci, Scalar, Temperated)
- Event Pitch Jittering
- Event Envelope
- Oscilloscope and animated XY Pad
- Effects chain: Doppler, Chopper, Glitch Gen, Sync Grain, Spectral Arpeggiator, FDN Reverb, Dynamic Compressor/Expander
- Save unlimited Snapshots number
- Pad interpolating snapshots
- MIDI/Network Control Change input
- Connection Control: Midi, Scrub Y and Accelerometer X/Y
- Capture Master Audio Output
- Run Audio in Background
Embedded User's manual
- Up to 25 built-in snapshots presets
- Sonoma Audio copy and paste
- Dropbox supports
- Audiobus compatible
Unfortunately the only sample we have of the app is not something I can embed here, as it requires Flash.
So instead here is a video from Marc Doty about the most (in)famous FM synthesizer, Yamaha's DX7. This video does an excellent job of demonstrating how I can say that, although I haven't played with Stria yet, I would much rather play with it than a DX7!
NSFW: Put on headphones! Marc says "fuck" a lot, and with enthusiasm! This is part of a larger 20 minute tribute to the DX7.
Wolfgang Palm has a new tutorial out, this time for his latest app, PPG WaveMapper! It is so inspiring to see tutorials from developers. Especially big fancy developers like Wolfgang Palm, inventor of wavetable synthesis!
The long anticipated Audiobus update for NanoStudio has arrived!
What's new in NanoStudio v1.4:
- Audiobus support for input (sampling) and output (main mix)
- Virtual MIDI inputs for note and controller data
- MIDI input transpose
- 4 extra banks for your Eden presets
- Fixed 'empty sample' bug when pasting from some Waldorf apps
That bit at the end about Waldorf apps is interesting, because the only Waldorf app that is currently on iTunes is the Rocket Control; which wouldn't be pasting anything.
There is also a note from Blip Interactive on the official NanoStudio forum about MIDI out:
I would have liked to add MIDI output and sync, but both these features would have required extensive changes to the sequencer to get the timing rock-solid and unfortunately I don't have the time to do this right now.
Also joining Audiobus today is xMod, an FM synth, and the drone synth Noisemusick.
What's new in xMod v1.3:
- Better sound quality and effects!!
- Audiobus compatible
- Core MIDI compatible - Sends AND receives MIDI including program (sound patch) information
- Now runs in background mode
- Fixed file management - can now delete files within app.
Ryan Hemeon from iOS MARS has done a second tutorial for MIDI Pattern Sequencer, this time focusing on the automation features. This is his second MIDI Pattern Sequencer tutorial this week, you can find the Getting Started video here.