At 62 years-old reader David Graham has released his first album, entirely created on iOS! This one explores experimental ambient with a delicacy uncommon in the genre. Throughout the whole album you get tempered staccato and musings, rather than typical lengthy bursts of weird. Sentiment gives you a good idea of where the album is coming from, but I think Wovel is the most interesting track; combining polyrhythmic percussion with ambient piano, and a dash of Industrial grit.
Both versions of DM1 were updated with much needed improvements to their Inter-App Audio compatibility!
What's new in DM1 v5.7:- New Inter-App Audio controller with improved compatibility with Garageband, AUM & Cubasis
- Midi Out wrong midi channel bug fix
What's new in DM1 for iPhone v3.7:- New Inter-App Audio controller with improved compatibility with Garageband, AUM & Cubasis
- Mixer Knob Length/Pan switch fix for iPhone6+, iPhone6S+ and iPhone7+
- Midi Out wrong midi channel bug fix
Developer Pier Lim has released TF8 Synth for iPhone. Unlike his previous FM Synthesis app TF7, TF8 is using subtractive, or Virtual Analog, synthesis. TF8 arrives with Audiobus, Ableton Link, and both MIDI In and MIDI Out! The app is free to try, and until the end of March it is only $3 to unlock.
TF8 Synth iTunes Description:TF8 Synth is a professional virtual analog synthesiser that melds superior synthesis algorithms with iOS technologies.
It is built with usability in mind, for live playing and for recording.
Features (with Purchase of Pro Pack) :
- 2 Main Oscillators (Saw, Square, Sine, Triangle and the coveted Roland-inspired Supersaw)
- 2 Sub Oscillators for each oscillator to give that added extra oomph
- 2 State of the art pure sounding filters, which can be used in series or parallel
- 2 LFOs for modulating almost any parameter in the synth
- 1 ADSR Envelope for the synth output
- 1 ADSR Envelope for controlling the filter cutoff frequencies
- 10 powerful effects comprising of Compressor, Distortion, Stereo Delay, Stereo Reverb, Reverse Delay, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Quad-Phase Phaser, Tube Distortion and Equalizer and Unison.
- Arpeggiator, time-step, velocity, gate with plenty of fun arpeggio patterns.
- Audiobus and Inter-app Audio for inter-app operability.
- Ableton Link can be used to sync arpeggiator and bpm-syncable effects.
- Midi controllers supported.
- Knobs are controllable via midi cc.
- Midi Out - use TF8 Synth as a midi controller!
From the deepest basses to the highest crystal bells, TF8 Synth sounds great, and is sure to be a worthy addition to your iOS music production arsenal. Best enjoyed with headphones.
There is a short promo video, but here I've embedded a video of Pier walking us through the Pro features.
Audio note-taking app Notetracks is on sale for just $1. Reader Niall also let me know that PSP is having a sale on their Auria plugins. Now until the end of the month, all PSP Plugins are just $5!
Chip Boaz has brought back the iOS Music & You Podcast!
Two new episodes are up right now, featuring a two-part interview with YouTube's live looping legend Rheyne!
And here is Rheyne's latest jam, where he is feeling quite Epic!
Live looping with Ableton Live, recorded in one take with no pre-recorded loops or sequences. 3x Moog Mother-32 synths are used as a 3-voice polyphonic synth with "Silent Way" by Expert Sleepers. Drums are from NI's "Damage" triggered by a KompleteKontrol 25. A KompleteKontrol 49 triggers the Moogs and a Make Noise 0-Coast (VCO calibrated with an ES-8 and Silent Way). A Fender Rhodes runs through an MXR ZW-44, and a DSI MoPho handles bass. 2x iPads are running Lemur as an Ableton control surface. 2x Launchpad "S" handle recording / playing / stopping loops.
Lighting is from 6x Chauvet Slim Par 56 and 2x American DJ Mega Bar 50 fixtures, connected to an Enttec DMXIS USB to DMX converter, with lighting triggered by Max for Live.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments.
Live Jams on BandCamp: https://rheyne.bandcamp.com