Gestrument Pro was released today by Jesper Nordin and AUM developer Jonatan Liljedahl! Gestrument is a gesture-based instrument that lets you perform by tracing your fingers around the screen. This upgraded version of the classic Gestrument app is a complete rewrite with a host of new features. The two biggest new features are recordable automations and modular generators that you can customize.
I was hired to do the official tutorial video, so I've been playing with it a lot this month. I found it to be extremely interesting to explore new rhythms that are made possible with the discrete duration selections. You can control multiple instruments from a single Cursor, but have varying note lengths for each instrument. So moving your finger from the left to right might speed up one instrument, while another instrument maintains a constant rhythm. I demonstrate an example of this in my tutorial below.
Update: Owners of the original Gestrument can pick up the Pro version at a discount with this bundle.
Gestrument Pro iTunes Description:Play, improvise and compose in real-time within a framework of interactive generative musical systems.
Award-winning composer Jesper Nordin and leading iOS developer Jonatan Liljedahl (Kymatica) has completely re-invented their unique app from 2012 and taken the concept to the next level.
Gestrument Pro takes everything we loved about Gestrument and improves on its original functionality while introducing a host of new features such as multi-touch, recordable automations, advanced scale editing and our unique system of highly tweakable modular generators that define the pitches and rhythms.
With Gestrument Pro you can Play, Improvise and Compose music with deeper levels of personal expression than ever before.
• Up to 16 individual Instruments.
• Each Instrument can be controlled by any of up to 8 Cursors.
• Instruments can use internal high quality sounds or play other synthesizers or apps via MIDI.
• Modular swappable Generators for producing the rhythms and pitches per Instrument, each with their own set of tweakable parameters and settings.
• 8 performance sliders that each can control one or more parameters in the Instruments and their Generators.
• A highly flexible modulation system allows assigning Sliders and Cursor position/pressure to any parameter in the Instruments.
• Advanced microtonal Scale editor with several standard scales included.
• 8 Scale Slots for fast switching between scales and tonalities during performance.
• Sliders, Cursors and Scale Slots can be recorded into automated loops, or controlled via MIDI.
• Supports Inter-App Audio and Audiobus, including host sync for following the hosts transport and tempo.
Controlling the media is pretty fun, so I will exploit that by embedding my own video here.