Intermorphic's Wotja got a big update to the cut-up feature, for mangling spoken words.
What's new in Wotja v4.3.0:This update to Wotja is mainly focused on the Cut-Up feature, which we've made much more flexible and powerful. We've also re-organised the UI a small amount; we've added some new menu items when you press the "Add" button, and we've taken the opportunity to improve the order of the tab buttons in the main screen.
NEW CUT-UP TEXT FEATURES:
- Syllables: The rule format has been extended to allow specifying how many syllables you want in a line; this is great for creating Haiku (which are 3 line poems with 5,7,5 syllables) as well as lyric ideas perhaps to fit to a number of notes.
- The rule format now supports value ranges for word and syllables and also naming of rules.
- A new rule editor is included that makes it easier to create new rules and modify existing ones.
- A new (non-editable) Wotja Word Database is included which can be selected instead of the user editable Wotja Word Bank and helps come up with some more unusual word combinations. You can configure this using the new controls in the Library screen (get to it by pressing the button to the left of the slider in the main cut-up screen).
- A new "Sources Only" cut-up mode that analyses the structure of the Sources text and lets you create cut-up with a more natural feel; in this mode the cut-up is created from Sources ONLY and it uses the active rule (ignoring syllables) but EOL rhyming and word locks are ignored. You can select this using the new button to the left of the main "Cut-Up" button.
- Revised the "Create New" menu items to make it MUCH easier to get going right away. *Wotja Cut-Up* - create a new cut-up without music (you can create a mix later if you want); *Wotja Mix (automatic)* - create a new random mix based on the Randomisation Settings without having to go via the Templates dialog; *Wotja Mix (manual)* - create a mix the old way where you can manually select a file or use a random selection from the tagged paks;* Wotja List (playlist)* - as before.
- Renamed the "Words" tab to "Cut-Up" and moved it to be the first tab.
- Renamed the "Design" tab to "Mix".
- Changed the icon for Mix and Voices tab.
- In the "Cut-Up" tab renamed the "Cut-Ups" section to "Saved".
- In Cut-Up Create panel added a new Lock All/Unlock All action menu item.
- When exporting a cut-up to a tweet, allow the background image in the Wotja file (if any) to be appended to the tweet; the cut-up text can be "baked into" the image if the Display > Text setting is set to "Show Text from Cut-Up"; this is great fun for making and sharing Haiku!
- Cut-Up character counter now also shows syllables used in each line.
- Added new "Haiku" rule to the included default cut-up rules.
- A blank line can now be added to a cut-up by setting the line rule to 0.
- Bug fixes.