Yesterday Okaynokay released Seaquence. This "visually immersive and sonically dynamic" sequencer looks goofy on the surface, but includes some nice features like MIDI out. Seaquence generates its own sounds using real synthesis, so you can shape them to taste. The app is free, but requires a $7 IAP to unlock all of the features. I spent some time with it yesterday and was able to have a lot of fun with just the free parts, so it is worth taking a look at it.
There are some caveats though. Seaquence does not include Ableton Link, Audiobus, nor any other way of playing with other apps. I spoke to the developers and they are excited about Ableton Link, but will wait to see how people use the app before considering Audiobus/IAA. The app is also locked in Portrait mode on iPads, but they are open to the idea of including Landscape support down the line.
Seaquence iTunes Description:Seaquence — Make living music!
Seaquence is a unique music app that allows you to compose with collections of musical creatures. As they swim around your view, a spatialized mix emerges as only the closest can be heard, resulting in organic sounding compositions. Visually immersive and sonically dynamic, Seaquence is a unique and captivating audiovisual experience. You've never seen (or heard) anything like it!
Seaquence features a pro-level synthesizer and timing engine controlled by a fun and direct interface. Even composers who are brand new to synthesis will be able to unlock their synesthetic creativity. With a single in-app purchase, all synth features can be unlocked, revealing features like filters, effects, MIDI support, and more.
Share your creations with friends and discover what other people have made to get inspired!
• Fully featured polyphonic synthesis module with support of up to 5 note polyphony per voice
• Dynamic spatial mixer and stereo-panning engine
• A true multitouch experience, up to 11 simultaneous touch points supported.
• Unique swimming physics and swim behaviors — swim patterns are based on synth voice parameters
• Up to 8 voices can be heard simultaneously
• Precision, sample-based clock and sequencing engine
• Intuitive visual multitouch voice editor
• 16x16 multitouch sequencer matrix
• Chromatic scale editor
• Octave editor
• Amplitude envelope + length (ADSR+L) with curves and “hold”
• 5 oscillator waveform shapes: Square, Saw, Tri, Sin, Noise
• Social sharing features — Get a link to share your creations to friends
• Parent links are maintained — trace back the history of a composition, see who remixed your creations
Features of Seaquence Complete (available as a single In-App Purchase)
• State-variable filter with hi-pass, band-pass, lo-pass, and notch modes
• Filter attack envelope with resonance Q and curve editor.
• Note step editor: 1/1 to 1/64, including triplets
• Global transpose
• Portamento/Glide with curve editor
• Additional voice modes in addition to Polyphonic:
• Monophonic with sub-oscillator tuned to a 5th
• Unison with Detune
• Delay FX module with feedback and individual voice FX-Send
• MIDI Notes In/Out: Send/Receive MIDI notes from external gear, up to 16 MIDI channels, addressable per voice
• MIDI Ctrl In/Out: Send/Receive MIDI ctrl data from external gear, up to 16 MIDI channels, addressable per voice
• MIDI clock sync: master or slave
10% of all profits go towards supporting our community at Gray Area Foundation for the Arts, a San Francisco non-profit arts organization. More info at http://grayarea.org/.