« Michele Baruffetti - Vecchio faro di Fiumicino | App News | ngarjuna - Clickbate »

Animoog Timbres VOL. 1: Timbres and Time Stretching

Reader Marc S. Langelier has been making a patient study of Animoog's Anisotropic Synthesis Engine to create high quality custom timbres. Here he shares all the details on how he does it!

Video Description:

Animoog Timbres: Animoog Timbres and time stretching/compression.
Hoping to create more Animoog videos soon.
Note: Forgive the red dot in the upper right corner of Animoog's XY pad. It is the record light from the camera.

Reader Comments 12

That's fascinating, Marc. Thanks for sharing that. A while back I was trying to use iFunBox for Mac. I think it was kind of hit and miss with whatever I was trying to accomplish. Perhaps that software has improved?
February 15, 2017  | favorite_border stub
Thanks for posting this. Knowing it can be done is nice, but seeing how it actually is done is much more motivating!
February 16, 2017  | favorite_border Erik
On February 15, 2017 - @stub said:
That's fascinating, Marc. Thanks for sharing that. A while back I was trying to use iFunBox for Mac. I think it was kind of hit and miss with whatever I was trying to accomplish. Perhaps that software has improved?

Hi @stub. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the Mac version of iFunBox, but occasionally the PC version seems unable to sandbox Animoog. After re-booting the PC, the problem is fixed. Not all apps are accessible via iFunBox, but at least Animoog & Parat+ are. They for now are the most important to me. I may do a more in-depth video just on iFunBox and some of the apps it works with, and some that it doesn't.
February 17, 2017  | person Sonakinesis
On February 16, 2017 - @Erik said:
Thanks for posting this. Knowing it can be done is nice, but seeing how it actually is done is much more motivating!

Hi @Erik. Thanks for watching this video. I am going to create more Animoog timbres videos soon. Let me know if there are any particular questions you have about creating timbres for Animoog (that goes for anyone else too). Making this video was very helpful to me too. I have a lot yet to learn about the process of creating timbres as well as learning more about Animoog itself.
February 17, 2017  | person Sonakinesis
Thank you very much Marc, I too watched this with anticipation and intrigue (really interesting topic) so thank you for taking the time to explain it! I must say I didn't realise it was so involved, but I do recall someone alluding to it being somewhat difficult and very specific! What it made me think was that it would me amazing if Moog brought out an actual tool (utility) specifically for treating and preparing imported samples (a sort of creative lab) then exporting them directly into Animoog (along with a preview and file check to ensure compatibility etc. I understand however it would have had a significant impact on previous sales of IAP's if they had admittedly! It made me wander what affect gain staging, harmonics and frequency content has on the anisotropic synth engine, but without specialist knowledge of its inner workings, in essence it's an electrical engineers 'black box' where all you can do is make experiments and observe the outcome and draw conclusions as to what's hiding inside! Remarkable instrument anyway, one of my favourites and I'm sure a great many people really appreciated this video (including me)! Many thanks for your efforts! :)
February 18, 2017  | person_outline ConfusedKitten
On February 18, 2017 - @ConfusedKitten said:
Thank you very much Marc, I too watched this with anticipation and intrigue (really interesting topic) so thank you for taking the time to explain it! I must say I didn't realise it was so involved, but I do recall someone alluding to it being somewhat difficult and very specific! What it made me think was that it would me amazing if Moog brought out an actual tool (utility) specifically for treating and preparing imported samples (a sort of creative lab) then exporting them directly into Animoog (along with a preview and file check to ensure compatibility etc. I understand however it would have had a significant impact on previous sales of IAP's if they had admittedly! It made me wander what affect gain staging, harmonics and frequency content has on the anisotropic synth engine, but without specialist knowledge of its inner workings, in essence it's an electrical engineers 'black box' where all you can do is make experiments and observe the outcome and draw conclusions as to what's hiding inside! Remarkable instrument anyway, one of my favourites and I'm sure a great many people really appreciated this video (including me)! Many thanks for your efforts! :)

Hi ConfusedKitten (great name by the way). Thanks for watching my video and for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.
Time, or lack thereof, always greatly influences which projects any of us can launch into. Given that, I feel like I've done just enough work on creating timbres that I have developed a work flow that I am used too. In a sense that could be the equivalent of learning a new app, say a timbre editor for Animoog. I think if one has access to an audio editor, and is allowed a little time to focus on timbre creation, they too can develop a familiar workflow that will make the overall process seem less involved. If Moog were to create a timbre editor for Animoog, I'd be very interested to see which features they included and how it works overall. (I'd probably be one of the first in line to buy it as well.)
On ..."gain staging, harmonics and frequency content"..., I do know that normalizing your timbres to 0dB is best practice. They just sound much more robust @ 0dB. When I first started creating timbres, I was normalizing them to -6dB. They just don't sound that good @ -6dB.
My next video will focus on pitch shifting and pitch of timbres in general. I've noticed some interesting results when I take the same timbre and create copies of at and -12 steps & -24 steps. But do note that in my Vol.1 video, the Animoog timbre I imported and demo'd in SoundForge played back an octave lower than when being auditioned directly in Animoog. For me that is just more food for thought.

Thanks again, Marc

February 18, 2017  | person Sonakinesis
Thanks Marc that's awesome! Yeah I appreciate what you're saying about familiarity with the procedures taking the impression of complexity out of the process, I guess it's because I've forced myself to only use iOS for everything since my workstation bought it a while back, so I haven't had the luxary of using a lovely audio editing tool like 'SoundForge' in some time (which is a shame as its always been my favourite wave editor (since SonicFoundary owned it way in the hazy past if that's indeed correct) however I'm looking forward to having access to a PC again relatively soon and you've convinced me enough to give it a go! Yay! ;) Will look forward to your next video anyway, and many thanks for your reply which is very much appreciated! :) CK
February 19, 2017  | person_outline ConfusedKitten
On February 19, 2017 - @ConfusedKitten said:
Thanks Marc that's awesome! Yeah I appreciate what you're saying about familiarity with the procedures taking the impression of complexity out of the process, I guess it's because I've forced myself to only use iOS for everything since my workstation bought it a while back, so I haven't had the luxary of using a lovely audio editing tool like 'SoundForge' in some time (which is a shame as its always been my favourite wave editor (since SonicFoundary owned it way in the hazy past if that's indeed correct) however I'm looking forward to having access to a PC again relatively soon and you've convinced me enough to give it a go! Yay! ;) Will look forward to your next video anyway, and many thanks for your reply which is very much appreciated! :) CK

Hi CK. Sorry to hear about your workstation. I hope you are able to replace it very soon. And yes, you are correct, SonicFoundry controlled SoundForge when I first purchased it. I am curious to see what Magix might bring to it since they bought it from Sony.
It is ironic that it doesn't seem like one can create a timbre in iOS (Twisted Wave for example) and then export that timbre into AudioShare and from there ultimately into Animoog. I feel that iOS' biggest weakness is proper file management. iTunes is a storefront, not a robust file management utility. I personally avoid using iTunes. I do believe though that people can use iTunes file sharing to import timbres into Animoog. It would be interesting to try anyway. Maybe further down the road I'll look into it.

Take care, Marc
February 19, 2017  | person Sonakinesis
Hey Marc! Wow, that's crazy it being passed onto yet another company (it must be frightening for the poor programmers trying to make sense out of several generations of someone else's code - shiver...)! My iOS Wishlist dream type thing would be for said 'Magix' to then decide to release iSoundForge on iOS (pretty please... beg...whimper et al) by switching the SF Direct-X plug-in support for iOS friendly AUX... which I would purchase Faster-Than-Light (regardless of cost)!

I also agree with you completely about the bizarre lack of wave editing support for iOS and I'm utterly baffled that we still don't have a full featured 'Pro' level audio editor (even after all this time)! Regardless, SF is amazing software, although I have to admit I've always been curious about Steinber'gs Wavelab (being a Cubase Pro user) but it's insanely steep price has kept me at bay (as yet). I do appreciate that it's much more focused on mastering specifically (than SoundForge which feels more general); but perhaps one day I'll get to have a go with it and it might win me over!

Thanks RE the workstation, yes it's been challenging (creatively) but rewarding too using only iOS but I desperately need access to pro tools now (like Adobe Creative Suite, AutoDesk's portfolio and Cubase etc) and the amazing SoundForge. I will certainly appreciate it like never before that's for sure! I've certainly learned to utterly adore my iOS apps in the meantime, it can only get better and better now that AU is taking hold, developers are starting to update old obsolete apps to 64-bit (in preparation for the 64-bit only jump to iOS 11 in the fall) and of course iOS 11 will undoubtedly bring with it further improvements (AU v4?) any advances are good (never look a gift horse in the mouth)!

I agree file management is a nightmare and I despise iTunes also (hiss) and avoid it at all costs, a remarkable example of the iOS file management nightmare is that I make music on iOS, but if I want to import it into Native Instruments Traktor DJ for iOS (I'm a desktop user as well) I can't just open in, copy or paste or even import directly! Thus ironically I have to export material off iOS to a computer (via iTunes) so that I can re-import it back into Traktor DJ (when it was already on iOS in the 1st place)! Surely it can't be 2017? Surely Native Instruments don't make music software for a living? It's insane (and funny also) but the situation certainly needs to change for iOS to evolve and be taken more seriously by the wider music community! In the mean time I guess we just have to do what we can (and remember how brilliant a lot of the apps are) which more than makes up for it!

Thanks for your communication anyway, which has been a pleasure! Best wishes, CK :)
February 19, 2017  | person_outline ConfusedKitten
Incidentally, don't get me wrong, I appreciate you we're primarily talking about the issues with file management because there is some really brilliant wave editing software out there on iOS! However, it seems (to appear at least) that they cover particular areas of use (i.e. Podcasting, sample manipulation etc) rather than being fully featured do everything software (like SoundForge or Wavelab) although I think the one you mentioned (Twisted Wave) comes closest to the kind of thing we have on the desktop.

I guess it's hard for developers as without the file management support it makes it hard to create a fully featured wave editor (i.e. because of sand boxing on iOS you can't just 'grab' audio like you would on windows/Mac using record -> select source etc). This also extends to easily being able to drag and drop audio around and essentially iOS sucks all this flexibility out of the equation, so I feel for developers as their hands are pretty tied! Anyway excuse me just thinking out loud and realising it's a pretty complicated can of worms and it was unfair of me to generalise! :)
February 19, 2017  | person_outline ConfusedKitten
On February 19, 2017 - @ConfusedKitten said:
Incidentally, don't get me wrong, I appreciate you we're primarily talking about the issues with file management because there is some really brilliant wave editing software out there on iOS! However, it seems (to appear at least) that they cover particular areas of use (i.e. Podcasting, sample manipulation etc) rather than being fully featured do everything software (like SoundForge or Wavelab) although I think the one you mentioned (Twisted Wave) comes closest to the kind of thing we have on the desktop.

I guess it's hard for developers as without the file management support it makes it hard to create a fully featured wave editor (i.e. because of sand boxing on iOS you can't just 'grab' audio like you would on windows/Mac using record -> select source etc). This also extends to easily being able to drag and drop audio around and essentially iOS sucks all this flexibility out of the equation, so I feel for developers as their hands are pretty tied! Anyway excuse me just thinking out loud and realising it's a pretty complicated can of worms and it was unfair of me to generalise! :)


FWIW, I think Magix has had some specials on both SoundForge & Spectral Layers, but their upgrade prices seem steep. They want $200 to upgrade from Spectral Layers v3 to v4. Don't think they have released SoundForge 12 yet.
I do use Twisted Wave for basic editing on iOS and then export the WAV files to AudioShare. From AudioShare it is easy to export them into my PC. AudioShare also makes it very easy to import WAV files to my iPad from my PC. I like AudioShare!
February 19, 2017  | person Sonakinesis
Ouch that is steep! Yeah me too too Marc! AudioShare is the closest thing we have to a proper file system for iOS and I'd definitely be completely lost without it! Everything I've bought from Kymatica is amazing in fact, and I'm always wondering what he has in store for us next! Regards CK :)
February 19, 2017  | person_outline ConfusedKitten
comment

  Post a New Comment

Anonymous comments are closed for old articles. If you'd like to comment please Register.

Comment:

Do not use HTML in your comments. Tags: [b] Bold Text [/b] [i] Italic Text [/i]
Links will be generated if you include http:// or https:// at the beginning of a URL.
Submit