Air Craft has released their anticipated AC Sabre MIDI controller. This is a fully matured and updated version of the, now classic, Sound Wand. This has a lot of buzz behind it too. I first heard about the release today in a direct message from Palm Sounds' Ashley Elsdon.
I had to check AC Sabre out and it immediately lived up to the hype. The app renders laser beams that shift direction as you move your phone around. Hitting one of the 9 cells triggers the note for the beam directly in front of you. You physically rotate your body, or move your arm, to change notes. It might sound weird, but in practice it is surreal and instinctive. It's like Augmented Reality, but instead of chasing Pokemon you're making your favorite synths soar!
The app arrives on sale for 50% off at $13.
AC Sabre iTunes Description:
AC Sabre is a revolutionary wireless MIDI instrument and motion controller for electronic music producers, composers, performers and DJs which brings the dynamic richness and performance energy of traditional instruments to your digital music library, in a way that is not possible with the existing studio and stage tools.
AC Sabre reads your movements with the built in gyroscope and accelerometer and translates them into musical actions. It lets you pluck invisible strings in the air while controlling up to 7 additional parameters, intuitively with your movements, via MIDI CC messages.
- Use AC Sabre to compose distinctive hooks that go beyond the MIDI keyboard
- Conduct automation in realtime with human sensitivity instead of spending painful hours with the mouse
- Add sophisticated musical elements without the need for years of theory and training
DJs & Performers...
- Play electronic instruments without being shackled to your gear
- Introduce spontaneity into your live digital performances
- Infuse signature attitude and style into your performances
- 3 words: Live Bass Wobble.