Wednesday, January 23, 2013 by Tim Webb
Last year iConnectivty released iConnectMIDI, a MIDI box that offered the ability to connect your MIDI gear to both your computer and iPad simultaneously. This was a neat trick, but at $179 it was hard to get excited about.
This year will see something worth getting excited about!
The iConnectMIDI4+, available in the first quarter of this year, will more than quadruple the capabilities of the original, for $199.99!
In addition to the 4 In/Out MIDI Din pairs on the device, you can connect 8 more bits of USB-MIDI gear through the USB hub port. Once you've wired your whole studio up to this thing you can then use all of your gear from up to 3 computers/iPads via USB.
This alone is a pretty amazing feat, but they've gone the extra step to also make this some kind of crazy audio pass-through interface. You can steam audio from all of the connected devices!
I can't believe they're selling this for $200. Dedicated MIDI boxes usually start at $350, and only let you connect up to 8 instruments to 1 computer. This thing will even charge your iPad!
12 MIDI connections, 3 computing device connections, and audio streaming between all 3. Incredible! There's even a network cable connector in there to do networked MIDI, though I have no information on how that would work. MATRIXSYNTH has further details.
- 4 In & 4 Out pairs of MIDI DIN Connectivity
- Connect 8 additional MIDI devices via USB Host Port + Powered USB Hub
- Over 64 user configurable ports of 16 Channels of MIDI per port
- Audio Pass-Through Between Up to 3 Computing Devices
- Multi-Host Capability - Connect 3 Computing Devices Directly & More via Network
- Network Connectivity
- Integrated MIDI Manager With Snapshot Preset Storage - For MIDI Thru, MIDI Merge, Filtering, and Advanced Routing Control
- Supports MAC, PC, and iOS Computing Devices
- USB MIDI Class Compliant
- Plug and Play - No Drivers Needed
- Charge iOS Devices